Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   New revolver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/new-revolver-77505/)

MyRawTalent 12-01-2012 11:14 PM

New revolver

I'm looking for some opinions on what would be a great new revolver to get. I don't own one yet so what would be a good one to start with?

Jpyle 12-01-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyRawTalent (Post 1035118)
I'm looking for some opinions on what would be a great new revolver to get. I don't own one yet so what would be a good one to start with?

What do you plan to use it for, home defense, range, hunting, concealed carry?

MyRawTalent 12-01-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle

What do you plan to use it for, home defense, range, hunting, concealed carry?

All the above

95sniper 12-02-2012 02:35 AM

For home defense/ carry/ hunting you may go with a 357. In that same gun you can shoot 38 special for target or whatever else you want to use it for, just be sure to clean the cylinder when you clean your gun. My dad just bought a ruger lcr in 357 and he likes it, but its not for everyone since it's a light gun and strong caliber there are other guns made by ruger and s&w that are fantastic... It all depends on what size of a gun you can carry.

tiberius10721 12-02-2012 04:17 AM

ruger gp 100 357 mag with a 6 inch barrel. built like a tank, very accurate, easy to reload for and priced right.

Jpyle 12-02-2012 04:46 AM

Agree with the posts above...a Ruger GP101 or a S&W 686 would be good solid choices as would some of the Taurus models. All are reliable for defense and rugged enough for field use You can step up to a .44 Magnum or a 454 Casull but that's a lot of gun for concealed carry although they would be better for hunting. In my opinion, the best middle of the road caliber would be .357 Magnum...everything is a compromise if hunting and concealment are top of the list of uses...some would argue they are, by design, mutually exclusive in that most hunting equipment is not meant to be concealed and most concealable handguns are not well suited for hunting. You also have to consider the downside of using a round capable of taking down a grizzly bear, massive overpenetration will be an issue and you own that bullet when you pull the trigger.

Another issue will be barrel length. With a large frame revolver, any barrel over 3 inches is going to pose a problem for concealment. Hunting pistols on the other hand benefit from the additional accuracy and muzzle energy of a longer barrel, a snub nose .357 is a fine self defense gun even if you are surprised by a bear while in the field but it is of little use for the longer range shots typical of hunting.

mdauben 12-02-2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyRawTalent

All the above

You do realize that choosing one revolver for all those roles is going to involve a lot of compromise? For hunting a heavy, long barreled gun in .44 magnum like the Ruger Redhawk would be my choice. Possibly with a scope sight. For home defense I'd probably pick a medium frame .357 such as the Ruger GP100 or S&W Model 696 with a 4 inch barrel. For concealed carry something like the Ruger LCR or S&W Model 642 loaded with .38 +P ammo. Finally, for target shooting I'd want something like the S&W 617 or maybe the Ruger SP101 in .22 LR.

If I had to pick one compromise I might choose a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum with the 3 inch barrel. It's not as small or light as the .38 revolvers listed above or as easy to shoot with full power loads as the GP100 or 686 but its acceptable for CCW or HD. For target practice you can load it with .38 wadcutters (not as cheap as .22s but not too hard to deal with for extended shooting session). It's not really all that suitable for hunting unless you limit yourself to game the size of smaller deer at closer ranges but that's the nature of compromise, you can't do all things well.

winds-of-change 12-02-2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberius10721 (Post 1035396)
ruger gp 100 357 mag with a 6 inch barrel. built like a tank, very accurate, easy to reload for and priced right.

This is exactly the revolver I have but I think it would be very difficult to conceal carry this revolver. It's BIG.

fupuk 12-02-2012 06:40 AM

Not at all. I only cary OWB and my shirts are never tucked in so its completely covered unless I crouch down or something like that. I will give you that is to big for me to carry everyday. But sometimes I just have to. Im not a big fan of small frame pistols/revolver for carry. I know I can shoot better with my full size Gp100 than I can with my wifes Jframe. But she loves her Jframe and im very glad that she loves that gun because it has never been inside of my safe. She has that revolver with her at all times.

fupuk 12-02-2012 06:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Firgot to post my picture...