New guy!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > New guy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New guy!

Hey there! Within the past month, I moved to a really remote area in northern WI, and before I left, my uncle gave me a little .25 pistol (apparently to protect me from beavers). I've always been a bit intimidated by guns, growing up with a step-dad who served in Viet Nam who "saw enough of them over there."

Well, after a few rounds of this little .25, I'm hooked. Now, my birth dad has paid for some actual home protection, and next week I'll be picking up the EAA Windicator .357. I've done a ton of research and found mixed, but overall good reviews, and seems to be a good choice for self defense for a novice. So, since my wife is very concerned about her aim, especially under threat of an intruder. So, to help her feel more at ease (in addition to lots of practice) I'd like to have a laser grip or laser sight. I cannot seem to find ANY at all. I've also been told the .357's concussion is too much for any laser to handle, so they don't make lasers for them. Of course, I've also been told they ARE available. Are they? If so, might I ask that someone post a link for me?

Thanks in advance!

Roy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #2

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Google Crimson Trace Grips-
Not sure if they make a set for your EAA tho-Doubt it -

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 04-11-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #3

Liked 232 Times on 154 Posts

Remember you can also shoot .38 specials out of that .357, that should make it easier on your wife while getting acquainted with it.

Plus it will be a little cheaper to practice. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I tried Crimson Trace and was told there are no lasers for ANY .357, because the percussion of the gun destroys the laser. I have since found that to be an inaccurate statement.

Also, I do plans to practice with .38's but then I've read you should practice with What you plan to shoot. Well, for self defense of course, I plan to use .357, so I'm sure we'll practice with both to get the feel of each.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #5

So I finally called EAA directly and just my luck, No lasers. But she recommended a "sight conversion kit" which I also can't find on the site. I assume this (if made for this model) would need to be installed by a gunsmith since the sights are fixed? If that's the case, I'll just pick up a bottle of "Glow On" and be done with it I guess.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #6

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strutter769 View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Quote:
I tried Crimson Trace and was told there are no lasers for ANY .357, because the percussion of the gun destroys the laser. I have since found that to be an inaccurate statement.

Also, I do plans to practice with .38's but then I've read you should practice with What you plan to shoot. Well, for self defense of course, I plan to use .357, so I'm sure we'll practice with both to get the feel of each.
Inaccurate is a understatement
I've shot a Ruger Super Alaskan in the 454 Casull with CT grips

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #7

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post

Inaccurate is a understatement
I've shot a Ruger Super Alaskan in the 454 Casull with CT grips
What he said, i know ct makes grips for various s&w revolvers, of many calibers, but i have no experience with eaa, im sure there is something for you. The most important thing is trigger time. I advise finding out about a local nra basic pistol class. Also check your local library for books & dvds. Remember to unload a firearm before dry fire practice or any instructional practice, etc. Safety first, always.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #8

OK, since laser isn't an option, is my next option Glow-On? I just don't like that the rear sights aren't dimpled, which of course make painting a breeze. But I will just tape them off maybe 1/4" from the top edge then paint. I'm thinking about using 2 colors. Rear would be red, front green Good idea or bad?

Old 04-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #9

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

im looking at crimsontrace.com right now, they do indeed make grips for magnum revolvers, ruger gp100, sp101, super redhawk, lcr...
s&w j frame [they even have one in pink, lol], k & l & n frames [which are usually chambered in some pretty hefty calibers]...
taurus judge, tracker, etc

i would check and see if one of the s&w or ruger grips will work...

Old 04-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #10

I will do just that, thank you!