Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > New to guns, What should I get?!!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

skylarlaham posted:

Quote:
LOL thats too much boom lol!
C'mon now.....don't be a girl about it.........

Old 08-24-2009, 10:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
skylarlaham posted:
C'mon now.....don't be a girl about it.........
U know what!!! **** IT! Im going with the Nitro .600!!!

Old 08-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #23

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The reason they are suggesting you start out with something like a .22 is this: I'm a big guy myself, and have several magnum revolvers of varying size, but I wind up shooting more .22 than anything else. The key (goal) to shooting is the ability to hit your target. It takes awhile to truly master sight alignment & trigger control, and ammo ain't cheap these days. With a .22 you can afford to practice enough to be a MUCH better shot than if you stick to only magnum loads-unless you're slightly wealthy. Also starting out with something like a .44 magnum MAY induce flinching. Don't get us wrong-there's nothing quite like shooting magnum revolvers, just that you need to get the basics down pat 1st with something you can afford to shoot-A LOT.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #24

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
The reason they are suggesting you start out with something like a .22 is this: I'm a big guy myself, and have several magnum revolvers of varying size, but I wind up shooting more .22 than anything else. The key (goal) to shooting is the ability to hit your target. It takes awhile to truly master sight alignment & trigger control, and ammo ain't cheap these days. With a .22 you can afford to practice enough to be a MUCH better shot than if you stick to only magnum loads-unless you're slightly wealthy. Also starting out with something like a .44 magnum MAY induce flinching. Don't get us wrong-there's nothing quite like shooting magnum revolvers, just that you need to get the basics down pat 1st with something you can afford to shoot-A LOT.
Son, right there is the topping on the cake. If you joined to learn about firearms and shooting, you found the right place. Advice is free and it is helpful to the ones that will make the best of it. Stick around and you will learn something. If you want, we can guide you through the whole process, all you have to do is the hands on part of the process and give us some feedback and we will help you along.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I suggest a Noisy Cricket.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-25-2009, 03:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Thanks man. I understand it now. I didnt fully get it before, but now that you explained it and can relate to me I understand.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:58 AM   #27
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Once again the Bear brings reason to the mind of a new shooter. Nice job Bear!

Good luck Skylar and let us know what you decide.

Can we get the Bear a merrit badge for distinguised service?

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #28

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlaham View Post
Ya i dont have too much experience shooting, but I handle the kick very well.
But this gun really did it for me Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
Sky, if you were to buy this wheel gun as your first, I'd bet it would be your last.

Starting with a large frame hand cannon like that at your age would have you searching ski or bowling forums in a month!

You came here for an education and the ability to avoid mistakes made by members here at the FTF. Show your intelligence by continuing on that path.

In firearms, there is no instant-gratification, to do it right (safe) takes time. cane

Baby steps, start small and learn the way you should, with an accumulation of experience and the tutelage here of some of the finest pistolsmiths on earth.

Take my advice and by the time you are my age you will have amassed a small fortune by saving the money I've pissed away on firearm mistakes over the past six decades.

Want a great start? Take a look at this outstanding first firearm;

^ The American Tactical Imports (ATI) GSG 1911, GERG2210M1911, 22LR, Semi-Auto

A .22LR 1911 for <$300.

See if you like shooting cheap. I'll bet whatever guns you add to your arsenal in the future, this sweetheart will remain your favorite (and first) gun!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #29

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I like the semi autos myself so no revolver recommend from me.

But as to the caliber, what do you want the gun for? If you want to target shoot get the 22lr. The cost of ammo makes the 22 a much more sensible choice. if you want the gun for home defense, then go with the larger calibers.

I have a 22 pistol and a few larger. I shoot the 22 the most because I can afford it.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Sky, if you were to buy this wheel gun as your first, I'd bet it would be your last.

Starting with a large frame hand cannon like that at your age would have you searching ski or bowling forums in a month!

You came here for an education and the ability to avoid mistakes made by members here at the FTF. Show your intelligence by continuing on that path.

In firearms, there is no instant-gratification, to do it right (safe) takes time. cane

Baby steps, start small and learn the way you should, with an accumulation of experience and the tutelage here of some of the finest pistolsmiths on earth.

Take my advice and by the time you are my age you will have amassed a small fortune by saving the money I've pissed away on firearm mistakes over the past six decades.

Want a great start? Take a look at this outstanding first firearm;

^ The American Tactical Imports (ATI) GSG 1911, GERG2210M1911, 22LR, Semi-Auto

A .22LR 1911 for <$300.

See if you like shooting cheap. I'll bet whatever guns you add to your arsenal in the future, this sweetheart will remain your favorite (and first) gun!
Well a few posts ago I said that I understand what u guys mean, n that im gonna follow it..... But ya, im gonna work my way up the ladder. Would you guys say go with a .357, or deffenitly a .22?
Im guessing the .22 lol.

Last edited by skylarlaham; 08-25-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Closed Thread