Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   New to guns, What should I get?!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/new-guns-what-should-i-get-17306/)

skylarlaham 08-24-2009 08:50 PM

New to guns, What should I get?!!

Hi everyone, im new to this site and new to guns. I have never owned a gun, but have fired them a few times and had a blast! I was hoping you guys could suggest some revolvers to me that you think I would like. Well im a pretty big guy and strong, so I can handle kick well. I also have very large hands so I would prefer a medium or large frame revolver. I like the idea and have more fun firing larger-ish sized bullets. The use of the gun would firstly be for having fun at shooting ranges, and then home protection and self defence. O and im left handed if that makes any difference.
Well thanks guys, any suggestions would be great!
Skylar.

dunerunner 08-24-2009 08:56 PM

Drift over to the Introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself when you have time.

New to guns....get a 22LR DA (double action) or a DA semi-auto and take a gun course. It will teach you about weapons and safety. The .22 (although isn't bug bullets) is inexpensive ammo and fun to shoot. IMHO

NGIB 08-24-2009 09:01 PM

Welcome, and may I suggest you pop in to the introductions area and do the honors when you next visit.

As for your question, I'm a bit picky about revolvers and I only recommend the big 3 - Colt, S&W, and Ruger (Dan Wesson as well but these are all used).

I personally have 2 S&W 686 .357s, a 3 inch and a 4 inch. I've owned a S&W .44 Mag and .45 ACP revolver before but I prefer shooting the .357 more. It's hard to go wrong with a K or N frame S&W as these are truly great revolvers. A 3 inch barrel gun is a great compromise between a shooter and a convenient defense gun. This one does nightstand duty at my house...

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j.../IMG_686-X.jpg

Shotgun Shooter 08-24-2009 09:03 PM

I'd say get a 44mag lol
Just kidddinggggg. Start off small. Get a 22LR revolver, then work your way up. Once youre comfortable with a 22Lr, move to a 38 special.

S.S.

skylarlaham 08-24-2009 09:23 PM

Thanks guys. Well I posted in the introduce yourself section. Do those guns you guys suggested have alot of BOOM!?

Skylar.

Shotgun Shooter 08-24-2009 09:27 PM

357's will put a kick in your V8, so to speak. LOL.
357 mag's can shoot 38 special AND 357. So you can shoot 2 different rounds. The 38 has less recoil, so its good to becoming comfortable with the gun before using the bigger 357 loads.

S.S.

skylarlaham 08-24-2009 09:31 PM

Well I am a V8 guy, but only if its an aluminum block lol. And damn thos 357 look nice, I mean not as nice as a S&W 500 but we cant have everything lol.

Virginian 08-24-2009 09:33 PM

I would agree with starting with a 22LR, either a single or a double action. A Ruger Single Six, either new or used, is pretty hard to beat for the best gun for the money. In double action you are looking at pretty decent dollars for a real good one. Any of the K frame Smiths, or an old Colt Officer's Model are going to set you back a bit, but they are great guns. As far as current new less expensive models, I think the Taurus model 94 is about the best bet, but if you plan to shoot it double action you had better get a Wolff spring kit.
Once you are ready to move up, I don't see a problem going to the 44 Magnum, but you would probably be well served to start out shooting 44 Specials. A 44 Special doesn't kick any more than a 38 Special in a smaller gun.
I would go on Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com and look at all there is, and pricing, and then try to get to some shows and dealers and handle a few.
A lot of people will tell you they have an Acme special or whatever, and it is cheap and fantastic, but try convincing someone else of that when you want to sell it. If you get a good name brand gun, especially a used one in good shape, if you take decent care of it you shouldn't lose a dime when you go to sell it. Something to keep in mind if you are not sure what you want to commit to forever.
Good luck and good shooting.

Shotgun Shooter 08-24-2009 09:35 PM

I just turned 19 the other day.I want a revolver pretty badly. :(
Sounds like you're in a much better gun state than yours truly. I made a thread around 2 months ago. It was asking what 357 revolver to get. They said Ruger GP100. So, if you end up deciding wanting a 357, check the Ruger GP100 out. Reasonably priced, too.

But to start out with, look into 22LR's. Guns arent just "point and shoot". You need practice with aim while dealing with recoil. ;)

S.S.

skylarlaham 08-24-2009 09:44 PM

Ya I heard of Taurus and their revolvers really interested me.