Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > New Gun S&W 686 no dash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 03:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default New Gun S&W 686 no dash

I recently purchased a Smith and Wesson 686 at a local gun show. It has very good fit and lock-up and shoots like a champ. I would like to know some history about my gun it has a few stamps right in front of the cylinder. If anyone can help me figure out what they mean and when it was made that would be awesome.

001.jpg   005.jpg   002.jpg   007.jpg   009.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

S&W has a good record of providing such info (down to the store that ordered it from them).

It may cost a couple of bucks, but in the long run it is worth it.

When you become famous, and they say "This gun belonged to TromuluZ06!" and here is the documentation. your heirs will be glad you did your research.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 04-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2453 Times on 1441 Posts
Likes Given: 1359

Actually, I think all that stamping means you have officically become a BAMF!!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 04-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #4

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

The stamping on the inside of the frame is obviously the model number but also a manufacturing number. Only S&W can tell you want it means and is likely nothing important. That's on a lot of S&W guns and a lot of people mistake that for their serial number.

The stamping on the outside of the barrel is a different story though. I've not run across that before. You should post that photo over at the S&W Forum. Those guys are a wealth of information.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #5

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for your comments. I went to a pin shoot and had a good time with this gun and one of the guys that I shoot with took a look at the markings and thinks that it could be a military piece. I've done some reading and it does seem that some Seals use them and some other select few. Has anyone else come across this??

Old 04-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #6

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

That revolver has proof house marks. The first one appears to be a "Nitro" or smokeless powder proof. That S&W 686 was sold to some other nation originally. It was most likely sold later in the U.S. as a trade in by J&G Sales Etc.
I would check the S&W Forum they will know.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #7

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The numbers in side the crane mean nothing they are assembly numbers used at the factory. The m stamped just above the model number means it was sent back to the factory to replace the firing pin bushing and hammer tip that was a recall on the no dash 686 and early dash one versions.
The stampings on the barrel and frame are not from smith and Wesson and are marks from over seas.I see the eagle over a N meaning its been to Germany and back.
The no dash is more desirable to collectors being as it has no lock and a the firing pin is still on the hammer unlike the later mim and lock models.
Although the 686 replaces the older model 66 k frame with a larger heavier frame, the grips are the same so should you buy different grips any K frame grips will fit the L frame revolvers.
I would go register and post the pics in smith and Wesson forums. You will get more replies with more details about the german marks.It doesn't add any particular value to the gun and a nice shape 686 here in north Idaho goes for around 550 bucks.
They are very nice shooting revolvers with very little recoil and smooth smith and Wesson triggers and accurate as all smith and wessons are.