New gun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > New gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Yea I put 100 rds through it today and yes the I think I'll keep the rubber grips on it but it really wasn't that uncomfortable to shoot at all. I can say I feel much better shooting it than I did the tcp handles much better grips soooo much better and shoots flipping circles around the tcp. I shot at 7, 15, and 25 yards took a few rds to figure out the sights but it was on after that. Double action pulls was easy at 7 and 15 yards to keep in the chest of the target and single action was easy to get head shots at 7 and 15. I tried how the head at 25 hit a few missed a few but all in all I feel very satisfied with the smith.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1294 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I have a 638 in .38. The original grips would not work well with a speed loader. The original grips also broke after about 900 rounds. The plastic with the helicoil inside the grip that received the screw to hold the grips on broke. I had to duct tape her until I could get new grips. That got a few looks at the range.

I bought a set of nice looking wood grips, but as others have said, it was more unpleasant to shoot with the wood then the original rubber grips. I took them off, sold them to someone who doesn't shoot his J frame, and bought a pair of Hogue rubber grips. They are much more comfortable to shoot. I have not tried the speed loaders with them yet. Probably because I don't think they will work.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:06 AM   #13

A speed loader works with mine gotta wiggle it a little but I guess it would be quicker than loading one at a time. Anyway I couldn't resist I won a wood set off eBay I don't plan on shooting it every weekend I just a refresher everyone and then. I don't get rid of much if I wanna put another 100 or more rds through her in one outing ill put the rubber grips back on.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:40 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I would forget "looks." That little gun gets significantly more unpleasant to shoot with solid grips. You might not like the way it looks, but if you shoot it very much, you'll sure appreciate those rubber grips.
I agree. Those rubber grips on my 637 do help to soak up some of the recoil. Even with them though it still has considerable recoil. Nothing you can't control with a good grip. And I believe the shape of those grips also helps with the recoil. Even so when at the range I usually don't shoot more than two or three cylinder fulls through it.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #15

Well it's an early Christmas. Got my grips I won on eBay. I'm going to refinish them probably ebony color and the s&w is rubbed pretty smooth so I'm thinking about cutting the end off a 38 sp round and using that in there.

image.jpg  

Old 12-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #16

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post
I agree. I am more of a wood stocks guy myself. As soon as I can find some that accept speed loaders I will buy them. If I get time I might try to make a set. Is yours a 357? If so, you might find that little thing tough to hang onto with wood grips.

I'm surprised to hear you say that. It always seems that one of the first things that people change are the grips. I myself really like the wood grips. From the large factories on my .357 to the small ones on my .38

forumrunner_20121224_184646.jpg

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري

Old 12-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #17

These are old factory grips I got from eBay and my speed loader works better with these than they did with the factory rubber ones