New GP100 with rust?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > New GP100 with rust?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New GP100 with rust?

I just purchased a brand new GP100 on Sunday, haven't fired it yet. I was just looking at it and, for the first time, used a small flashlight to look down the inside of the barrel (I know, should have done that at the shop before I bought it). Tonight I noticed what looks like light rust or corrosion on the inside of the barrel, especially by the cylinder. I have not given it a cleaning yet, because I wasn't planning to take her to the range for a week or two. My question is, is this normal? Is it permissible to have some corrosion on the inside of the barrel, or did I get sold a lemon? The rest of the gun looks great. Thanks for any input!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

I would think that it could be from sitting in the store for a long period of time. ( as long as its just a little suface rust) it should be fine. I would clean it, check it and if it looks ok shoot it, then clean it and check it. The firearm is most likely ok. I have had surface rust on a shot gun barrel before from long storage and just cleaned it and all was fine with it. Best of luck and keep us posted.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 02-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Are you sure it is rust and not residue from the factory shooting it? Run a white cloth through and see if it comes out rusty colored or black.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-23-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7107 Times on 4278 Posts
Likes Given: 8625

I bought a brand new GP100 in August. I looked down the barrel and it didn't look stainless steel like the rest of the gun. But I have very little experience with guns and didn't think much about it. It was darker than the rest of the finish on the gun. I took it to the range and shot it and took it home and cleaned it and I never thought about it again until I read your post. When I cleaned it after shooting it for the first time, nothing came out if it that looked like rust, but again, I had just shot it. I don't think it's anything to worry about, really.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies so far. The discoloration is definitely reddish and not black. I ran a dry cloth through the barrel and nothing really came out. I will give it a good cleaning with CLP in the next couple days and see if that changes things. I'm not super concerned, but I did think it was a bit odd.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #6

Default My new GP 100

Hello,

I purchased a new GP 100 (4 inch, stainless) about 3 weeks ago from Gander Mountain in Geneva, IL. The gun purchase included the empty cartridge that had a date on the envelope of August 31, 2010. The plastic gun case that came with it had a "received" (at Gander Mtn.) date of October 31, 2010. It seems, then, that my gun sat at Gander approx. 2 1/2 months before I purchased it. I don't know if it was out on display the entire time or if that would even make a difference. I did not see any evidence of any rust anywhere on the gun and I really couldn't tell what chamber fired the lone cartridge. Anyway, I'm very happy with it so far - I put 100 rounds through it about a week ago (Winchester 38 sp., 130 grain, FMJ) and have purchased Weapons Shield for cleaning/lubing/preservative; Tipton carbon fiber rod; and nylon brushes, in addition to a nylon jag and of course some mops/patches. I gave it an OK cleaning after the 100 rounds; but, I'm waiting to take the wife to shoot it and then I'll apply some detail - anyone got one of these and tried the Crimson Trace Laser? Also, my gun had a tendency to shoot a little left with this ammo and I'd be interested to hear about others' experience and also the best way to dial in the sights.............Cheers, John

Old 03-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #7

Default still not clean

Okay, I did an initial cleaning with CLP and let it sit for quite a while after I applied it to let it do it's job. I used a brass brush on the barrel and then swabbed it out with paper towels on a jag to clean out the barrel. In the end, I still see some red residue that looks like rust, or is at least "rust-colored" in the barrel...not as much as before I cleaned it, but it's still there.

Will actually putting some rounds through the gun help to loosen up any residual corrosion and help me clean it out? I'm not sure I'm happy if this residue is going to be a permanent fixture on this gun. I happened to buy it at my gun range, so when I can finally take it in for it's mainden shooting, I'm going to point it out to the guys there before taking it in to shoot.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1983 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I have a Crimson Trace LG111 on my SP101. I really like it. Great training aid. Dry fire and it will let you know if there is any muzzle movement.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #9

It's a piece of steel. Clean it, put a little oil on it, and go on about your business.

John 3:16 (NKJV)

Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #10

Finally got to the gun shop today. They took a look and said it is just the residue from the copper jacketing and that I'll never get rid of all of it, but he recommended a solvent, but cautioned me that it can pit the steel if left on too long. They said that as is it wouldn't affect accuracy or dependability at all. Quite relieved.