new acquisitions. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > new acquisitions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 02:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i've got SF 6857

and 754407 on the bottom of the barrel

Old 01-10-2011, 03:01 AM   #12

doing some research and it seems s&w starting cambering this pistol in 38 special in 1905.

so it seems this could be a very early production of the model 10?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2962 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

I was leaning that way myself. I could be wrong, but I believe that is the model of .38 that the army disliked so much, that they wanted another handgun. That dislike started JMB to modify his earlier semi-autos to a larger caliber and submit for a test (the Model 1911).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9156 Times on 3953 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

With the S&W- WHAT IS THE SERIAL NUMBER? And does it start with the letter V? The .38 S&W is a fairly common round- Walmart will not have them, but any decent sporting goods shop should. It is fatter and shorter than .38 Special, which is actually a .357 bullet, and not a true .38. The "tons" marking would indicate this may have passed thru England, and been proofed there. Possible (only a wild guess here)- this may have been a pre-Model 10 that went to England on the Lend-Lease program (Brits liked the .38 S&W, used a 200 grain bullet) and later went to arm civilian police in Germany after the war. IF it has a V serial number on the butt, would be a Victory Model made during WW II. It does wear the low topped grips common to that era, but does not have the large button on the end of the ejector rod common to the Model 1905. Send more pictures, including close up of any markings.

Your Dan Wesson is also a very nice revolver. IMHO, those were some of the most underappreciated handguns made.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #15

I won't be back home untill Friday most likely. Ill try to get pictures then.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Recently I began to collect Dan Wesson pistols and have spent a good bit of time on the DW forum and have a fairly good grasp of DWs. What you have here is what is called a Dan Wesson Pack. You have a very nice "small frame" DW. It was probably made in Monson, Mass. If so, that is one of the good ones, good quality. My guess on the value of the unfired Pack would be around $1,200 and up, depending on how badly the buyer wants it. Sometimes buyers pay more than the market value just because they want it or simply don't have that model pack in their collection. Don't fire it. As you said, you have other firearms to shoot.

You can get an idea of the value by going to the gun auction websites. Google Dan Wesson's for sale and you will have several to chose from. If there is any other DW fans out there who disagree with my assessment, please jump in. I'm new in the DW world.

Hossman

Old 01-12-2011, 12:51 AM   #17

Thanks for the reply. It is indeed stamped monson, ma.

it seems amazing that such a unique firearm, which has been kept unfired for 20+ years would only be worth slightly more than a new sig sauer.

Oh well I guess it is the same with the car market.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Notice I said "$1,200 and up." It depends on who wants it and how bad. I just paid too much for a model 14 porkchop just because it was in good shape and I WANTED IT.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #19
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2962 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

Quote:
Originally Posted by red ryder View Post
it seems amazing that such a unique firearm, which has been kept unfired for 20+ years would only be worth slightly more than a new sig sauer.

Oh well I guess it is the same with the car market.
When the pack was purchased, it was considerably less than a new Sig at the time. Compare apples to apples.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #20

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Any gun that gives you belt buckle can't be all bad

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson