New 85 for the wife
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > New 85 for the wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default New 85 for the wife

I bought the wife a Taurus 85 Ultra Lightweight for an early anniversary present. It arrived today and she was thrilled. She picked this one herself recently when we were at a local gun show, but I decided to get it for her after she finally got her CCW. She already has a Bersa Thunder, but also wanted a J Frame revolver.

I was impressed with the handling and performance of the 85 along with it's accuracy. It reminded me of the S&W Model 36 I used to have. I took my Taurus compact .357 along and we had at it. The recoil was just as manageable as my heavier J framed .357, but at 17 ounces, lighter feeling in the hand. Definately one that I'd recommend to someone in the market. Price point is excellent also. It didn't hurt that two of my distributors have them on sale right now.

She loved it and is positively dangerous with it. Good thing I'm on her good side.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #2

i carry that same .38 everyday. i havent had any problems ever with it. recoil is still manageable with plus p rounds also. one of my favorites

Old 03-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #3

Liked 281 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I carried 85SS for 20 years. Smoother today than when new and looks almost as good.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

My wife loves hers. She got the blued one with pink grips. She initially tried my semis (1911, PX4 .40 and FNP-9) and just didn't like them. I felt like she would do better with a revolver and she hasn't looked back since. She called me today to ask me what box of bullets she needed to pick up so she could go shoot Friday. Sounds like a satisfied customer to me. I fired it a couple of times myself and I think I would prefer a longer barrel, but since it's her's, I kept my complaints to myself.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2399 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 690

The 85 was the only Taurus I did not have some problem with. Mine was the titanium and had the ported barrel. I sold it after firing it with +P on a darkened range. I was blind for a few seconds.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #6

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Good for you. It is nice to see I am not the only husband that buys the wife guns that she picks out. I got mine one for Valentines day a couple of years ago, she loves it and still tolerates me.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
The 85 was the only Taurus I did not have some problem with. Mine was the titanium and had the ported barrel. I sold it after firing it with +P on a darkened range. I was blind for a few seconds.
i have a model 94 in four inch and snubb nose. i havent had problems with either after 1000's of rounds. people always knock taurus but with a lifetime warranty i think they some of the best. def for ur money

Old 03-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #8

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Well, I said many times in defense of Taurus handguns that I've owned dozens of Taurus revolvers & the 85 was the ONLY one i've ever had a problem with
I'm sure I was just lucky enough to get the "lemon"
I still stand with confident owners of Taurus

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluspforyou38

i have a model 94 in four inch and snubb nose. i havent had problems with either after 1000's of rounds. people always knock taurus but with a lifetime warranty i think they some of the best. def for ur money

I love my Taurus raging bull 44ss....people "knock" the foreign made guns, but the foreign guns are some of the best made....IMHO

Old 03-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #10

In my opinion the taurus guns are not as awful as they are sometimes made out to be. I believe smiths are better revolvers but they are also way more expensive! It really depends on what you want. If I was going to buy one I would buy a smith personally because I'm young and I tend to keep my guns forever so chances are good for me to put thousands of rounds downrange. However it comes down to how much extra your willing to pay for a little extra quality and sometimes in many applications its simple not worth extra hundreds of dollars to upgrade!