new .38

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > new .38

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default new .38

I just got on old Smith and wesson .38 special that was my great grandfathers. Its in good condition for how old it is. My dilemma is that you can't shoot +p through it. I want some ammo that could stop something in its tracks but won't cost an arm and a leg.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2859 Times on 1489 Posts
Likes Given: 254

If you want to "stop someone in his tracks" you need a shotgun, not a handgun. Handguns, even the most powerful ones are woefully inadequate man stoppers.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 10-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #3

Liked 106 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Unfortunately ammo prices suck no matter what caliber, or even gauge. As far as non +p 38 defense ammo, i believe a good choice may be federal 110 grain hydrashock. Now you might want to reconsider using that gun for sd/hd as in some jurisdictions they confiscate pending the outcome of an investigation, and that piece being a family heirloom and all. That said, the 38 is adequate to the task, and if its all you have and you cant afford anything else right now than stick with it until you can.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsheppard View Post
I just got on old Smith and wesson .38 special that was my great grandfathers. Its in good condition for how old it is. My dilemma is that you can't shoot +p through it. I want some ammo that could stop something in its tracks but won't cost an arm and a leg.
First gun?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No not first gun I've got several other shotguns rifles and 3 more pistols. I've got a .9mm rugar as my cc but I'm the type that beleives a gun should be loaded and ready in case it was needed. Its not my first choice but I want to know that if I had to I could defend myself and my family

Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #6

Liked 106 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I can respect that. I keep the heirlooms loaded as well, as last resort dont have time to reload, etc. I dont like to keep a gun that doesnt have a purpose, doesnt have sentimental value, or that i dont like. I had bought a cz27, was too expensive to shoot a bunch for fun, and i didnt trust it as a backup or carry weapon so i sold it. Back to your 38, there are a few standard velocity defense capable loads. Any stabdard pressure with a semi-jacketed hollow point, or regular jhp.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I always keep hollow points in my .9mm i have just sewn some massive loads. 157 grain bullets. But I think that would not have enough distance

Old 10-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsheppard View Post
I have a S&W model 36 that was handed down. It was a backup gun from the 50's. My wife has it as her protection with hollow points. Recoil was not a problem, more of a fit in her hand thing. It will do the job. I carry a Colt Gov.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 10-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #9

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

There is nothing wrong with a 38 spl. Loaded with 158 gr FMJ ammo it will do just as much damage as a +P 9mm HP. If you don't trust it I will be more than happy to baby sit the 38 for you. :-)

If you check around you might find 158 gr JSP ammo for it.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-24-2012 at 01:08 AM.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #10

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton View Post
I can respect that. I keep the heirlooms loaded as well, as last resort dont have time to reload, etc. I dont like to keep a gun that doesnt have a purpose, doesnt have sentimental value, or that i dont like. I had bought a cz27, was too expensive to shoot a bunch for fun, and i didnt trust it as a backup or carry weapon so i sold it. Back to your 38, there are a few standard velocity defense capable loads. Any stabdard pressure with a semi-jacketed hollow point, or regular jhp.
Hell, theres a old Victory Mdl S&W 38spl that my wives father left her in a glass topped display case just behind me thats loaded

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

oldcoptn46 Likes This