Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   new .38 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/new-38-a-74846/)

dsheppard 10-22-2012 06:35 PM

new .38

I just got on old Smith and wesson .38 special that was my great grandfathers. Its in good condition for how old it is. My dilemma is that you can't shoot +p through it. I want some ammo that could stop something in its tracks but won't cost an arm and a leg.

robocop10mm 10-23-2012 02:47 AM

If you want to "stop someone in his tracks" you need a shotgun, not a handgun. Handguns, even the most powerful ones are woefully inadequate man stoppers.

phildenton 10-23-2012 09:39 AM

Unfortunately ammo prices suck no matter what caliber, or even gauge. As far as non +p 38 defense ammo, i believe a good choice may be federal 110 grain hydrashock. Now you might want to reconsider using that gun for sd/hd as in some jurisdictions they confiscate pending the outcome of an investigation, and that piece being a family heirloom and all. That said, the 38 is adequate to the task, and if its all you have and you cant afford anything else right now than stick with it until you can.

HOSSFLY 10-23-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsheppard (Post 985720)
I just got on old Smith and wesson .38 special that was my great grandfathers. Its in good condition for how old it is. My dilemma is that you can't shoot +p through it. I want some ammo that could stop something in its tracks but won't cost an arm and a leg.

First gun?

dsheppard 10-23-2012 09:23 PM

No not first gun I've got several other shotguns rifles and 3 more pistols. I've got a .9mm rugar as my cc but I'm the type that beleives a gun should be loaded and ready in case it was needed. Its not my first choice but I want to know that if I had to I could defend myself and my family

phildenton 10-23-2012 10:02 PM

I can respect that. I keep the heirlooms loaded as well, as last resort dont have time to reload, etc. I dont like to keep a gun that doesnt have a purpose, doesnt have sentimental value, or that i dont like. I had bought a cz27, was too expensive to shoot a bunch for fun, and i didnt trust it as a backup or carry weapon so i sold it. Back to your 38, there are a few standard velocity defense capable loads. Any stabdard pressure with a semi-jacketed hollow point, or regular jhp.

dsheppard 10-24-2012 12:06 AM

I always keep hollow points in my .9mm i have just sewn some massive loads. 157 grain bullets. But I think that would not have enough distance

25-5 10-24-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsheppard (Post 985720)

I have a S&W model 36 that was handed down. It was a backup gun from the 50's. My wife has it as her protection with hollow points. Recoil was not a problem, more of a fit in her hand thing. It will do the job. I carry a Colt Gov.

Old_Crow 10-24-2012 02:02 AM

There is nothing wrong with a 38 spl. Loaded with 158 gr FMJ ammo it will do just as much damage as a +P 9mm HP. If you don't trust it I will be more than happy to baby sit the 38 for you. :-)

If you check around you might find 158 gr JSP ammo for it.

HOSSFLY 10-24-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phildenton (Post 987130)
I can respect that. I keep the heirlooms loaded as well, as last resort dont have time to reload, etc. I dont like to keep a gun that doesnt have a purpose, doesnt have sentimental value, or that i dont like. I had bought a cz27, was too expensive to shoot a bunch for fun, and i didnt trust it as a backup or carry weapon so i sold it. Back to your 38, there are a few standard velocity defense capable loads. Any stabdard pressure with a semi-jacketed hollow point, or regular jhp.

Hell, theres a old Victory Mdl S&W 38spl that my wives father left her in a glass topped display case just behind me thats loaded :cool: