Need to Match a Revolver to a Rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Need to Match a Revolver to a Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Need to Match a Revolver to a Rifle

Okay, so I have this sweet Winchester lever action that my grandfather left me when he past on ( RIP RC ).

I believe it's an 1873, it's chambered in .44 wcf ( .44-40 ) and this rifle has killed so many deer in it's day, I am pretty sure the Deer Coalition of the Upper Peninsula have an open bounty on the owner.

I am thinking about getting a pistol that will "match" the era/style of this historic firearm and would like it to be chambered in the same caliber ( for obvious reasons ).

I really like the Schofield, and I know that Uberti makes replica pistols that are "like" the S&W number 3 and chambered in .44-40. I don't need a true "era" piece, as this weapon will be fired and be part of a set that I would consider to be functional.

That said, I don't want a modern looking pistol made of titanium and looks like it belongs in the hands of some wannabe Cowboy Gansta from the Los Zetas hierarchy.

So, revolver guys, what do you think and what are your thoughts??

Price - I am open, but don't need a $10K authentic piece either.
Timing - Probably late this year, first part of 2011
Color - Brushed stainless to match the rifle
Caliber - .44-40

And I do have a line on some gun leather to carry it in, but obviously I would like to have the pistol first since I will be getting the holster cut to match.

Thanks for the input!!

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2010, 02:41 AM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

JD<

I was looking at Uberti single actions today as I have a 7 1/2" in 357 that I'm going to sell to get another Ruger to have a matched set for Cowboy Action Shooting.

Go to Gunbrokers.com and look for the below Uberti. They have several chambered in 44-40.

Uberti 1873 Cattleman 44/40 5 1/2” New buy it now $519.00

Scubie

Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Schofields are, IMHO, the best looking revolvers ever made. Uberti makes one but as far as I know it's not available in stainless, the only models in .44-40 are blued. The Cattleman does come with a matte stainless finish in .44-40, though.

Or, like Cane would say, you can get a Colt. The 1873 Single Action Army is made in .44-40, in several barrel lengths and two finishes (blued and nickel). Change the ugly factory plastic grips for some nice wood and you've got a beautiful American classic.

Ruger made a .44-40 Vaquero in stainless a while back, maybe you can get a hold of one of those. It's a pitty that they don't make a .44-40 Blackhawk.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Well---You could go with something a little odd---and this one looks
kind of shiny.

Montenegrin D.A. Revolver 44 40 Gasser Scissor : Antiques / pre-1899 at GunBroker.com

Kind of curious. What is the finish on your gun? No finish? Nickle?
I've never heard of stainless 1873 Winchester, not even an Italian clone.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #5

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Ditto to what Francisco says...go with the Peacemaker, it's the 1873 Winchester's natural companion.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Jeez JD, just get a Glock in .40, spray paint it silver, and rechamber your rifle. Why you gotta make everything so difficult?

Old 08-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Come on guys

Stop all the jibber jabber and post up some pics.

At least links.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Used to see ads in the Shotgun News for an 1875 Remington replica from EMF. Came in .44-40, .45Colt, and .357. I always thought they looked kind of nice. A little different anyway. Everybody at the SASS matches has a Colt or clone.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

There are a number of clones available in 44-40 in S&W, Colt or Remington configurations. You can have a lot of fun looking at the details and making a decision.

The only thing I would recommend for your consideration is that if you want to shoot the gun, don’t shoot it much and use black powder equivalent loads. If it was made before the turn of the 20th century it is made of softer steel than the guns made after about 1895. If you want to pump out ammo with a ’73 and an appropriate handgun, consider getting a ’73 clone rifle as well and saving an irreplaceable piece of history.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #10

Liked 330 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'd go with a Colt P1970 SA revolver with a 7-1/2" barrel in .44-40 Cal.

Colt Single Action Army Revolver P1970, 44-40 Winchester, 7 1/2", Dbl Eagle Black Composite Grip, Blued; Case Colored Finish, 6 Rd