Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Need a little help on how to clean the front of the cylinder of my S&W 637-2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need a little help on how to clean the front of the cylinder of my S&W 637-2

Hey folks, I just picked up a S&W model 637-2. Very nice little revolver! After shooting 50 rounds through it, I cleaned it back up nicely however the front of the cylinder seems to be tough to get looking new. Dark circles surround each chamber and the nitro solve and brass brush doesn't seem to take them off. Do I just live with it?

Last edited by canebrake; 09-03-2010 at 01:03 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #2

My 642 was the same way. You may never get it looking new with cleaners.
Just make sure there's no fouling buildup that could affect the cylinder rotation.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Black cyl. fronts

The best for clean up on silver guns-stainless/nickle plate, is a lead-wipe-away cloth. It's found in most gun shops/gun shows. I don't know if Wal-Mart has them or not. They are usually yellow in color, in a plastic bag, and about 4x4 square. After standard clean, cut a 1x1" square from the cloth, and wipe away the black at the front of cyl., forcing cone, under the top strap, and anywhere else on the gun. You can also take that 1x1 piece and run it down the barrel,and cyl. holes, to help remove any lead that may be there. I think the cloth cost about $5.00 and last a long time, if you keep it sealed in a zip-lock bag. I have heard of the cloth being hard on nickle plate, so check first. By the way Welcome in waylap+speak up!!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Last edited by BILLYBOB44; 03-03-2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Welcome waylap

Old 03-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #4

Liked 302 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

+1 on Lead Wipe.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:25 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Lead wipe cloths are a god send for SS. They will remove bluing and are not good for satin, electroless or bright nickel.

Last edited by robocop10mm; 03-06-2009 at 04:55 AM.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #6

Liked 302 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Lead wipe cloths are a god send for SS. They will remove bluing and are not good for sating, electroless or bright nickel.
True it is a god send for SS. I wouldnt use on any other finish. Will really screw up bright nickel too. Cheap wadcutters in my SS S&W 629 were the culperts in my situation. The Lead Wipe saved the day though for this application.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:42 AM   #7

When I worked in a local gun store we got the oportunity to fire alot of the weapons as they came in. One of the things I noticed on all stainless or titamium revolvers was that once they were fired a few times nothing we had would take the dark rings off from around the chambers

Old 09-03-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
True it is a god send for SS. I wouldnt use on any other finish. Will really screw up bright nickel too. Cheap wadcutters in my SS S&W 629 were the culperts in my situation. The Lead Wipe saved the day though for this application.
The lead wipe cloths will remove any finish applied to a firearm. Fortunately, Stainless is not a finish, it is the steel. Do not use these on blued guns unless you prefer an unblued finish, because that is what you will end up with in short order.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-03-2010, 01:02 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I use it the Lead Away cloths on my stainless revolvers. However, at this point, the best it gets is a light gray. I haven't been able to get the front of the cylinder looking new again. But, since my guns are shooters and I know it's as clean as I can get it, I just live with it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Lead wipe cloths are a god send for SS. They will remove bluing and are not good for satin, electroless or bright nickel.
They also remove hard anodizing from aluminum frames.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."