Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Need a little help on how to clean the front of the cylinder of my S&W 637-2 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/need-little-help-how-clean-front-cylinder-my-s-w-637-2-a-11513/)

waylap 03-03-2009 09:44 PM

Need a little help on how to clean the front of the cylinder of my S&W 637-2

Hey folks, I just picked up a S&W model 637-2. Very nice little revolver! After shooting 50 rounds through it, I cleaned it back up nicely however the front of the cylinder seems to be tough to get looking new. Dark circles surround each chamber and the nitro solve and brass brush doesn't seem to take them off. Do I just live with it?

supergus 03-03-2009 10:18 PM

My 642 was the same way. You may never get it looking new with cleaners.
Just make sure there's no fouling buildup that could affect the cylinder rotation.

BILLYBOB44 03-03-2009 10:59 PM

Black cyl. fronts

The best for clean up on silver guns-stainless/nickle plate, is a lead-wipe-away cloth. It's found in most gun shops/gun shows. I don't know if Wal-Mart has them or not. They are usually yellow in color, in a plastic bag, and about 4x4 square. After standard clean, cut a 1x1" square from the cloth, and wipe away the black at the front of cyl., forcing cone, under the top strap, and anywhere else on the gun. You can also take that 1x1 piece and run it down the barrel,and cyl. holes, to help remove any lead that may be there. I think the cloth cost about $5.00 and last a long time, if you keep it sealed in a zip-lock bag. I have heard of the cloth being hard on nickle plate, so check first.;) By the way Welcome in waylap+speak up!!

mrm14 03-03-2009 11:00 PM

+1 on Lead Wipe.

robocop10mm 03-04-2009 03:25 AM

Lead wipe cloths are a god send for SS. They will remove bluing and are not good for satin, electroless or bright nickel.

mrm14 03-04-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 77964)
Lead wipe cloths are a god send for SS. They will remove bluing and are not good for sating, electroless or bright nickel.

True it is a god send for SS. I wouldnt use on any other finish. Will really screw up bright nickel too. Cheap wadcutters in my SS S&W 629 were the culperts in my situation. The Lead Wipe saved the day though for this application.

jcdolese 09-03-2010 12:42 AM

When I worked in a local gun store we got the oportunity to fire alot of the weapons as they came in. One of the things I noticed on all stainless or titamium revolvers was that once they were fired a few times nothing we had would take the dark rings off from around the chambers

robocop10mm 09-03-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14 (Post 78289)
True it is a god send for SS. I wouldnt use on any other finish. Will really screw up bright nickel too. Cheap wadcutters in my SS S&W 629 were the culperts in my situation. The Lead Wipe saved the day though for this application.

The lead wipe cloths will remove any finish applied to a firearm. Fortunately, Stainless is not a finish, it is the steel. Do not use these on blued guns unless you prefer an unblued finish, because that is what you will end up with in short order.

CA357 09-03-2010 01:02 AM

I use it the Lead Away cloths on my stainless revolvers. However, at this point, the best it gets is a light gray. I haven't been able to get the front of the cylinder looking new again. But, since my guns are shooters and I know it's as clean as I can get it, I just live with it.

M14sRock 09-03-2010 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 77964)
Lead wipe cloths are a god send for SS. They will remove bluing and are not good for satin, electroless or bright nickel.

They also remove hard anodizing from aluminum frames.