Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > need help with revolver hanging up.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default need help with revolver hanging up.

I have got a 357 Rossi model 972 stainless steel with 6in barrel. I can run 38's and +p through it all day but when I put 357's in after 2-3 rds it locks up but after a minute or two I can free it up. When it locks the cylinder wont turn, trigger wont move, hammer wont pull back, it is like it has to cool down. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

My readings of history convinces me that most bad government results from to much government.....Thomas Jefferson
Being Ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn............Benjamin Franklin
If Barack Obama is the answer, the how damn stupid was the question.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Possible solution without seeing the gun -

If you shoot a lot of .38's through it and then shoot some .357's you may be creating a pressure situation. The .38 is slightly shorter than the .357 and will create a lot of deposits in the end of the cylinder. Slide a .357 in there without a good cleaning in between and the pressure goes up as the longer cartridge has to get fully seated and get past the build up in the end of the chamber.

Like I said, without seeing the gun that's a good place to start. A steady diet of shorter cartridges will also eventually wear the chamber. Just like shooting .22 longs in a .22 long rifle chamber. It'll work, but eventually the chamber will take the wear.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #3

Liked 124 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 37

^+1 that makes sense to me too,the .357 rounds aren't going in the chamber far enough so the base of the shells are tight up against the frame so it can't turn.Try a good cylinder cleaning and try nothing but .357's in it.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 84

thanks for the info, I'm going to the range this wknd I'll give it a thorough cleaning before i go.

My readings of history convinces me that most bad government results from to much government.....Thomas Jefferson
Being Ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn............Benjamin Franklin
If Barack Obama is the answer, the how damn stupid was the question.