You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

need help with new gun buy???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 04:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default need help with new gun buy???

i took my ccdw test the other day, i passed and outshot everyone there with my ruger service six, yes the same service six i at one time thought of trading or selling because of a little rust and a few tiny pits. not anymore as at 7yds double action 20rds tore a hole in the plyboard that my fist would go through. i was the only one there with a revolver, now to my question. i have a safariland 568 for my service six, and will use it till i get another gun, but now it seems i can get another gun in about two months. i want a revolver and a ruger if i can, what do ya'll suggest? the 357 lcr or the 357 sp101? mabe something else? i know it's two months but i like to plan ahead, thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #2

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If I planned on never shooting it, the lcr is quite a bit lighter and has a Crimson Trace grip, but I would still want the version that has an exposed hammer.

If it was me, I would buy the 3" 101, as I could be point shooting before acquiring the laser visual, the gun is a little more controllable (and probably fun to shoot), and more versatile.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7455 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 594

do you plan on ccwing with it??

if so get the lcr 357mag. its got a VERY good da trigger and no exposed hammer to hang on clothing. its good to go right out of the box after an initial cleaning.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 08-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
do you plan on ccwing with it??

if so get the lcr 357mag. its got a VERY good da trigger and no exposed hammer to hang on clothing. its good to go right out of the box after an initial cleaning.
yes i was needing to conceal, i will use the service six if my permit comes before my funds. but i was wanting something easier and smaller to conceal. thanks

Old 08-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #5

Liked 2225 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 820

We have an SP101 that shoots very well. The SP101 is heavy to carry and not as easy to conceal as you might think. Jon mentioned some of the issues with carrying a SP101. The hammer does get snagged in your clothing, exposing the gun. You can carry the sp101 very easily in a high riding holster, with a T shirt as a cover garment. The advantage of having the hammer is obvious...