Need help IDing an old S&W 38

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Need help IDing an old S&W 38

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 03:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need help IDing an old S&W 38

I am brand new to this site so if this is posted in the wrong place please excuse my ignorance. I recently aquired a 38 special collection and am trying to identify one of the pistols. The etching in the metal is so faded you can hardly read it. What you can read is as follows: "38 S&W Special, U.S. Service. . . " that's about it. The serial number is (as best I can tell) 37197. It has a black handle that seems rather small for the handgun with the S&W logo at the top. The gun has a faded S&W logo on it as well. I was wondering if anyone may consider sharing a little knowledge on it if possible. I am a semi-collector recently new to the FFL business and like to know exactly what's in my collection. Thank you in advance, Joe Scott

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2011, 03:32 AM   #2

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

could be a M&P(model 10). Where are the pictures? What's the barrel length? Is it a 6 shot or a 5 shot? Does it have the US "flaming bomb" stamp? When you swing out the cylinder is anything stamped on the part of the frame that is then visible?

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:51 AM   #3

Not having a ruler very handy, I believe it's a 4" barrel, it is a 5 shot, no flaming bomb stamp that I can tell, 7440 is stamped on the inside. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Old 09-22-2011, 04:04 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8825 Times on 3820 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

We need PICTURES ! In focus, close up, show markings. The serial number is on the butt of the revolver.

What was later known as the Model 10 WAS used by the US military- originally it was the Military and Police Model, but so far you have not posted anything that would show it is a veteran.

List ALL markings on the gun.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #5

If it is a 5-shot .38, it is probably a J-frame S&W - like the "Chief's Special". That's why the grip looks small.

There weren't many of these with 4 inch barrels, 3 inch was much more common. It was probably issued by one of the federal security services. I think the US postal service inspectors carried something like this in the 1940's and 50's.