need help with this deal
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > need help with this deal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default need help with this deal

i have a lady that wants to trade because of recoil so i would like to know what would be a fair amount to ask her as boot. she has a taurus 617 stainless that has been fired 10rds, the recoil was more than she liked so she offered it to me and asked how i would trade. i have this brand new never loaded or fired stoeger cougar 40 cal. with padded plastic case with cleaning brush and rod, holster, 6 magazines, 5 mag pouches, and 850rds of ammo. 260rds are federal and winchester hydra shok hollow points, the rest are brass cased fmj from federal, winchester and remington. so what would be a fair amount?, i have a little over $900 in all mine. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2013, 03:36 AM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

First: has she shot it? She may not like the recoil in that one either.

The taurus.... not sure on the value, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, maybe around $300 give or take.

It wouldn't be fair to her to have to pony up enough boot that she could buy a new gun, and it seems a lot of your value lies in extras.

I would encourage her to let me take her gun shopping instead of trading, unless she just really, really wants it.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:00 AM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
First: has she shot it? She may not like the recoil in that one either.

The taurus.... not sure on the value, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, maybe around $300 give or take.

It wouldn't be fair to her to have to pony up enough boot that she could buy a new gun, and it seems a lot of your value lies in extras.

I would encourage her to let me take her gun shopping instead of trading, unless she just really, really wants it.
she shot one of her friends 40 stoeger and loved it, she tried to deal with a shop but they would only give about half of what she gave for the taurus. and all my ammo she said was a plus as she would have enough for a year. i want to give her a good deal, just don't know what would be fair. her's is as close to new as they can get without being new. and i would need to get 357 ammo as she has none. thanks

Old 08-24-2013, 04:08 AM   #4

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Well the value difference is around 600. I just wouldn't feel good asking that much in boot myself.

Try this. Point out the difference in value, and let her make an offer. If it's agreeable to you, go for it. If not, negotiate.

If I wanted the taurus more, I'd settle at a loss, maybe the gun plus 400.

It's very, VERY hard to make any kind of recommendation for someone who's trading DOWN. Sorry man.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Well the value difference is around 600. I just wouldn't feel good asking that much in boot myself.

Try this. Point out the difference in value, and let her make an offer. If it's agreeable to you, go for it. If not, negotiate.

If I wanted the taurus more, I'd settle at a loss, maybe the gun plus 400.

It's very, VERY hard to make any kind of recommendation for someone who's trading DOWN. Sorry man.
Agreed 100%

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #6
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Trip's advice is sound. Normally, the first one to mention a number in a negotiation loses. If you lay it all out for her, she may really want the package instead of shopping, so it might be MORE valuable to her. Or explain that there may be a difference in demand that affects value - if the Stoeger is easier to sell in your area, then it might retain more value than the Taurus. But definitely get her to offer first - you never know what her value is of your package deal until you ask.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)