Need help buying a classic six shooter - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Need help buying a classic six shooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Barrel length is a matter of preference and practicality. If you want to be a quick draw kind of guy, you'll probably want a shorter barrel. For long range shooting and or hunting, a longer barrel is better.

The Vaquero has channel sights, and most Blackhawks have adjustable sights.

Calibers are a question of personal preference as well as economics and availability. .357 is a great one because you can shoot cheaper .38's as well. There are some convertible models such as .45/.45acp. .357/9mm.
I've owned two early .44 OM Vaquero's, a .45 convertible Blackhawk, a .357 Blackhawk, a Single Six which is .22LR/.22Mag, and a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine.

If you want a revolver that is just plain fun, get yourself a .30 Carbine Blackhawk. They only come with 7.5" barrels and if you ever shoot one, you'll know why. It is a real hoot with lots of noise and flame with that one. It makes a pretty good light game gun too.

BTW, convertible models just come with two different and interchangeable cylinders, easy stuff.

Hope this helps.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 02-19-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:13 AM   #22

U.S. Fire Arms - Old West Guns and Cowboy Action Shooting Rifles

Old 02-20-2010, 02:57 AM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
Vaquero Questions:
  1. What's the difference between the Vaquero Stainless/Blued and the Bisley? From what I can tell the hammer is lower on the Bisley, and the grip looks to be different as well.
  2. Would it be possible to get different grips for the Vaquero? I am NOT a fan of the black hard rubber grips.
  3. I am assuming I should go for the .45 Colt caliber?
  4. What barrel length would you guys suggest? 5.50" or 4.62" length? I will mostly carry it when I dress up and for shooting at the range.
Grips are longer on the Bisley.

Accessory grips for Vaquero do exist, but most are custom made. I went through this when I bought my Blackhawk. They're too small and narrow. I have a couple refs I can give you just drop me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction. I went with an over-sized, finger grooved, black and white ebony set that has just made the gun a treat to shoot, look at and show off.

I'd go for .44 mag, for the simple reason that .44 mag is (a little) more available.

Either barrel length will been adequate for most uses. The smaller one would be more practical for carry/outdoor use, but the 5.5 will give you a slight sight radius advantage.

They are just great guns. Enjoy!

Tags
1873, colt, six shooter