Need help buying a classic six shooter - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Need help buying a classic six shooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 02:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It all depends on what you're buying it for. There are some very good Colt clones that are close to the real thing. But a real Colt SAA will always hold it's value and there's just something about owning a real Colt. I love these things.
colt-saa-2nd-011.jpg   colt-saa-5.5-017.jpg   colt-saa-7.5-042.jpg   dsc06494.jpg  

Old 02-02-2010, 03:37 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Do yourself a favor and don't deviate from Ruger, Smith and Wesson or Colt.

Just be patient and persistent and keep your eye out for a good used Ruger if you really don't want to spend the cash on a Smith or Colt.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Rugers are nice - here are the Vaquero, New Vaquero and Single Six.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-19-2010, 05:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
JMHO, but stay away from Heritage revolvers. They aren't necessarily junk, but they don't compare in quality to most other brands.
How are the .22's that they make?

Old 02-19-2010, 05:33 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It's my opinion and also the opinion of some pretty knowledgeable people that the Heritage revolvers just aren't of very good quality. They're cheap to buy, but you get what you pay for.

A Colt if you can afford one or a Ruger will do the job for less money. I haven't owned a Colt single action revolver, but have owned a number of Rugers. I've had several old model Vaquero's and several Blackhawks. They're excellent firearms and built like tanks.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 02-19-2010 at 05:55 AM.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:41 AM   #16

Ruger Vaquero for the old cowboy classic.
Not sure of the price because I haven't seen one in a gun store lately.
Probably around 400-500$.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #17

Thanks for all the awesome advice and pictures guys! This is why I love this forum, people actually know what they're talking about and they can back it up with both words and photographic evidence.

I've been looking at the Ruger Vaqueros, and they look awesome! I think a Colt is a bit steep to begin with, and for that amount of money I could get that Kimber 1911 Pro Raptor II I've been drooling over, so I think I am going to go for the Vaquero.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 02-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #18

Vaquero Questions:
  1. What's the difference between the Vaquero Stainless/Blued and the Bisley? From what I can tell the hammer is lower on the Bisley, and the grip looks to be different as well.
  2. Would it be possible to get different grips for the Vaquero? I am NOT a fan of the black hard rubber grips.
  3. I am assuming I should go for the .45 Colt caliber?
  4. What barrel length would you guys suggest? 5.50" or 4.62" length? I will mostly carry it when I dress up and for shooting at the range.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 02-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #19

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
Vaquero Questions:
  1. What's the difference between the Vaquero Stainless/Blued and the Bisley? From what I can tell the hammer is lower on the Bisley, and the grip looks to be different as well.
  2. Would it be possible to get different grips for the Vaquero? I am NOT a fan of the black hard rubber grips.
  3. I am assuming I should go for the .45 Colt caliber?
  4. What barrel length would you guys suggest? 5.50" or 4.62" length? I will mostly carry it when I dress up and for shooting at the range.
I own a Ruger Blackhawk in .44mag and i freakin love that gun!! I am also working on getting a Vaquero. I believe you are right about the hammer and grips being different on the Bisley. I think it has a high gloss finish that the other Vaqueros don't have. Barrel length is really a personal preference. Just look at some holsters for it and try to get an idea of where you want to carry it (strong side, crossdraw, doc holiday holster). Then you'll get an idea on how long you want the barrel.

just my 2cents

Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Some Bisley info:

In 1895, Holland & Holland the famed London gunmaker, advertised the New Colt Bisley Revolver.

The town of Bisley, England was the site of major British shooting matches. In 1894 Colt made an effort to market this new revolver which was an outgrowth of the modifications urged by popular demand on the Single Action. Longer grip straps, heavier frame, a lower and wider hammer spur and full width trigger all were incorporated into this new design in 1894.

Today, the Bisley is often copied but never duplicated. The last one, Serial Number 330,184 left the factory Nov. 18th, 1919.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Tags
1873, colt, six shooter