Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Need Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need Help

I recently received my Dads guns and there is one pistol that has no markings. I don;t have a clue what it is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dsc01942.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #2

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

There has to be someone who could possibly answer your question here.~

Old 07-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Interesting!
It looks like you have to remove the cylinder pin to load. I would not want to shoot it until a gunsmith had a chance to check it out.

It looks like an European make. Possible earlier Rohm or such. I would suggest that you retain it as a family heirloom and NOT take it to the range

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 07-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8312 Times on 3593 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Well, Zoey, yes there is, but I had to get a cup of coffee first..........

Your revolver appears to be a H&R "The American" revolver. made in the USA. And, yes, you pull the cylinder pin, and use it to eject the empties. Not a fast reload, but used on a lot of utility grade handguns made in the early 1900s. Boobed hammer kept it from hanging on your clothing.

Yes, should be checked by a smith before shooting it. Remove grips to find the serial number.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 07-16-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If my sources serve me correctly, this is the H&R American as C3 stated. If I had to guess from the picture its a 5-shot 38 s&w. This looks to be either the second variation which was made between 1888-1897 but its possible its the black powder model made between 1884-1904. Its hard to tell without more pictures. Is the top strap marked with anything? How about the numbers under the grips? Black powder guns can go boom with modern ammo, so dont shoot it until you know for sure what it is.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.