Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Need do it all .357 Lightweight revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 02:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I re-iterate, the Ruger Security Six 4" barrel seems to me to be the best combination of power, size, and affordability that anyone's ever produced in this country. If I lived anywhere but Alaska I'd be totally content with it for a sidearm for any purpose. Are bears a legitimate concern where you live? I like the looks and feel of the Taurus Trackers in .41 or .44 mag, but comments about reliability on this site have given me pause.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiri View Post
Guys, I'm getting ready to buy my first gun before Osama puts a stop to this but I need advice.
Take your time picking out the gun that's right for you. You have plenty.

1. Obama (Oh, I see. It rhymes with Osama. Clever.) has bigger fish to fry right now trying to fix the mess the last eight years of complete incompetence and mismanagement has landed us all in. He's not likely to waste time or political capital on what is, effectively, a dormant issue.

2. There are about 30 to 40 Democrats in the House of Representatives who will try to defend their seats in what are traditionally republican leaning or conservative Democratic districts. They're not likely to rock the boat at this time.

3. The Senate won't pass a gun restriction bill right now or for some time. Besides the fact that the Democrats don't have a super majority, there are about 15 to 20 Democrats who just won't support the idea.

4. The recent Supreme Court decision makes passage of a sweeping, restrictive bill less likely.

5. S&W Model 327 Nightguard (though it has a hammer and its a bit pricey, so it may not fully meet your requirements).

Last edited by 741512th; 02-11-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Garand_Tanner View Post
1st thing is 1st : By the sound of the Osama comment, you are a republican, and you and I are on the same level about the terrorist running the country.
You're right. Something has to be done about the many christian terrorists in this country like Timothy McVeigh, James Kopp, and Eric Rudolph. There are still many more running around out there.

Last edited by 741512th; 02-11-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #14

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstchewy View Post
Ruger SP101.
I'm looking to pick up a .357 snubby to carry daily, because at the moment, my 1911 GI is a bit too large...

I've heard nothing but praise for the Ruger SP101, in all configurations. Super good revolver. They are a little big for my intentions, and a little out of my price range, but they have the longer grip that you are looking for, and are available with a shaved hammer.

Check em out!

ALSO They are available with the laser grip. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for, without the super high S&W prices.

Ruger SP101®*Double Action*Revolvers

Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Enjoying your political commentary 7145etc. Congrats on having Al Franken to represent you in the senate, I'm sure you'll be very happy together.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #16

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Need do it all .357 Lightweight revolver

2. Can I whack a bear with a hot loaded .357? I mean, if I shoot him just anywhere as in an emergency type situation. What if I have to shoot him in the head? If you want to go after black bears, a good 160 to 180 gr. hard cast lead wide flat point loaded to 1100 fps or more.

3. I'm not dead set on the caliber but thought 357 would be good so I could buy cheaper ammo for practice (38). However, this is NOT entirely necessary so if you think it's wise, maybe a more powerful caliber. A .357 should do for a first revo very nicely. You can think about bigger stuff later.

4. I would like one without an exposed hammer so it won't catch on clothes or a bag when trying to pull it out. No exposed hammer is getting pretty specialized. Things like a S&W 640 come to mind, but it has a 2” barrel and small, fixed sights.

5. I want lightweight. How light is light? The 4” GP-100 is about 40 oz. The S&W 640 is 23 oz., and a 340SC Scandium .357 is 12 oz., but it has pretty brutal recoil with anything approaching full power loads.

I am NOT worried about recoil. Your orthopedist will love you. You will end up making the payments on his new BMW.

6. I would like either something that comes with a longer grip (I have short fingers and wide hands and I have problems with thick grips) OR something I can put a longer grip on. I like Pacymayr Decelerator grips on my S&W J frame revos. They are longer than standard and soak up recoil.

7. I like the idea of the smith with the built in laser sight but not sure if that's a good idea or reliable. I USED to be a good shot. Lasers are available.

8. Also, I would like NOT to have to pay $1000 for something like their Scandium revolvers. Scandium are really pretty specialized. Nice to carry, not so nice to shoot.

9. One more thing. Do they make them with something like a 3-4" barrel and do I need it for accuracy or not? Will the laser sight help with that? The S&W 360 Kit Gun had a 3” barrel with adjustable sights. Great gun. No longer in the catalog.

A Ruger 4” GP-100 or 3” SP-101 are recommended.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 741512th View Post
Take your time picking out the gun that's right for you. You have plenty.

1. Obama (Oh, I see. It rhymes with Osama. Clever.) has bigger fish to fry right now trying to fix the mess the last eight years of complete incompetence and mismanagement has landed us all in. He's not likely to waste time or political capital on what is, effectively, a dormant issue.

2. There are about 30 to 40 Democrats in the House of Representatives who will try to defend their seats in what are traditionally republican leaning or conservative Democratic districts. They're not likely to rock the boat at this time.

3. The Senate won't pass a gun restriction bill right now or for some time. Besides the fact that the Democrats don't have a super majority, there are about 15 to 20 Democrats who just won't support the idea.

4. The recent Supreme Court decision makes passage of a sweeping, restrictive bill less likely.
I agree completely. They are never going to completely take away our right to own guns. Theres no rush to buy a revolver. Take your time and find something you really feel comfortable with.

You can't go wrong with either a S&W M&P 340, or a Ruger SP101. Both are very reliable and will last you a lifetime if you maintain them properly.

Please don't buy a Taurus. Brazilian made junk with very poor customer service. Support our own economy.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #18

Just to (politely) counterpoint the previous poster:

I recommend the Taurus 605. It is a 5-shot, snub-nosed .357. I have close to 4000 rounds through mine, and the only problem it has ever had was shooting 30-year-old ammo. It is a fantastic little gun, inexpensive, and surprisingly consistent. It weighs 23 oz., and feels like being slapped in the palm with re-bar if you use 158-grain .357 in it!

I have dealt with Taurus customer service for my other .357 (M66) and found them to be fast and courteous.

Everybody's experience will be different, though.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I'm looking to pick up a .357 snubby to carry daily, because at the moment, my 1911 GI is a bit too large...

I've heard nothing but praise for the Ruger SP101, in all configurations. Super good revolver. They are a little big for my intentions, and a little out of my price range, but they have the longer grip that you are looking for, and are available with a shaved hammer.

Check em out!

ALSO They are available with the laser grip. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for, without the super high S&W prices.

Ruger SP101®*Double Action*Revolvers

That may be my favorite revolver, can handle more .357's than me and also concealable.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:22 AM   #20

I've got a 357 Colt Lawman MK III nickle-plated 2" snub nose dual-action, it's a great gun!