Guys, I'm getting ready to buy my first gun before Osama puts a stop to this but I need advice.
I wanted to buy a gun for protection but not only at home but also outside. I plan on getting a dirt bike and go riding and at some point even buy some property up north so for protection against animals so...
1. Can I get a light weight revolver that will stand up for very hot loads?
2. Can I whack a bear with a hot loaded .357? I mean, if I shoot him just anywhere as in an emergency type situation. What if I have to shoot him in the head?
3. I'm not dead set on the caliber but thought 357 would be good so I could buy cheaper ammo for practice (38). However, this is NOT entirely necessary so if you think it's wise, maybe a more powerful caliber.
Hell, I looked at the .460 Smith till I actually saw one. That thing is huge and weighs more than my damn truck
4. I would like one without an exposed hammer so it won't catch on clothes or a bag when trying to pull it out.
5. I want lightweight.
I am NOT worried about recoil.
6. I would like either something that comes with a longer grip (I have short fingers and wide hands and I have problems with thick grips) OR something I can put a longer grip on.
7. I like the idea of the smith with the built in laser sight but not sure if that's a good idea or reliable. I USED to be a good shot.
8. Also, I would like NOT to have to pay $1000 for something like their Scandium revolvers..
9. One more thing. Do they make them with something like a 3-4" barrel and do I need it for accuracy or not? Will the laser sight help with that?
Used would be ok.
I would appreciate links and rough prices with your replies if possible.