Need do it all .357 Lightweight revolver
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Need do it all .357 Lightweight revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need do it all .357 Lightweight revolver

Guys, I'm getting ready to buy my first gun before Osama puts a stop to this but I need advice.

I wanted to buy a gun for protection but not only at home but also outside. I plan on getting a dirt bike and go riding and at some point even buy some property up north so for protection against animals so...

1. Can I get a light weight revolver that will stand up for very hot loads?

2. Can I whack a bear with a hot loaded .357? I mean, if I shoot him just anywhere as in an emergency type situation. What if I have to shoot him in the head?

3. I'm not dead set on the caliber but thought 357 would be good so I could buy cheaper ammo for practice (38). However, this is NOT entirely necessary so if you think it's wise, maybe a more powerful caliber.
Hell, I looked at the .460 Smith till I actually saw one. That thing is huge and weighs more than my damn truck

4. I would like one without an exposed hammer so it won't catch on clothes or a bag when trying to pull it out.

5. I want lightweight.

I am NOT worried about recoil.

6. I would like either something that comes with a longer grip (I have short fingers and wide hands and I have problems with thick grips) OR something I can put a longer grip on.

7. I like the idea of the smith with the built in laser sight but not sure if that's a good idea or reliable. I USED to be a good shot.

8. Also, I would like NOT to have to pay $1000 for something like their Scandium revolvers..

9. One more thing. Do they make them with something like a 3-4" barrel and do I need it for accuracy or not? Will the laser sight help with that?

Used would be ok.

I would appreciate links and rough prices with your replies if possible.

Thank you

George

Last edited by guiri; 02-02-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #2

1st thing is 1st : By the sound of the Osama comment, you are a republican, and you and I are on the same level about the terrorist running the country. I also plan on stocking up on weapons before a ban.

2nd, most .357 Mag's are around $1000-$1100. You could always get a used one or an auctioned one.

Gewehre Artikel

Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #3

Here: TAURUS 608 .357 MAGNUM 8 SHOT STAINLESS STEEL 357 : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Gewehre Artikel

Old 02-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #4

Thanks

Will the 8 shot capacity not make it pretty big and heavy? I do like the looks of it though. Never did like snub nose guns but again, small and light to carry. I'm not sure how much difference there is in weight (actual weight and not just on paper because bottom line, things feel different in real life) between the Taurus and this one "Smith M&P 340 CT"

George

Old 02-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #5

Ha, look what I found on the site you showed me.
Model M&P 340 CT Crimson Trace Scandium 357 : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Funny thing is that this is the store I was planning to buy from. They are just 30 miles away from me

I wonder if this is a good price. Not sure about the grip though but might go there and check it out. This is too cool.

George

Old 02-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #6

Someone I know has a .357 Mag just like that one, 8 round and all, its not that bad, its not too light and not too heavy, but the barrel is 3" or so, not short like this one.

That site with the Taurus has some nice revolvers, browsing around for a few days will surely find what you need.

I oughta do the same, knowing that the Liberals will get rid of them. It really bugs me that its possible to entirely outlaw some guns. I need a collection of them, for all duty.

.44 Mags and .38 specials are pretty nice, but like you said, about the .38, Snubbys arent the greatest, so out of the 3 the .44 would be the best, if you dont want a snub. I'm not too sure if it could whack a bear, but a higher grain will do anything.

Gewehre Artikel

Old 02-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #7

Here is a nice .44 :

Ruger Vaquero "Old Style" Case Blue 5 1/2" .44 Mag : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Not a snub either, and a 6 shot capacity.

Longer barreled .357:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121854068

Gewehre Artikel

Last edited by M1Garand_Tanner; 02-02-2009 at 09:20 AM.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #8

The Taurus would be more my style. I plan on going to a local gun show in a few weeks. Hopefully I'll have money then but in any case, I prolly won't buy there, they tend to be expensive.

Thanks

George

Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #9

I agree with the gunshow, sure they are expensive but usually you get the gun direct, no shipping fees or the likeliness of the shippers screwing it up :P

Gewehre Artikel

Old 02-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #10

Ruger SP101.