Need Advice On .357 Mag Revolver - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Need Advice On .357 Mag Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Yeah, the Pythons were hand fitted to extremely tolerances-the best of ANY production revolver. Nowadays the S&W performance center equates the precision of those Pythons but none are smoother than those Pythons out of box. I've tuned/slicked up many revolvers and most designs CAN be tuned to the same degree. For absolutely the lightest smoothest revolvers I've done, the Ruger Security Six and Redhawk lockwork design lends itself to great double action trigger pull. Naturally most people don't go to the trouble to tune their revolvers to this degree so we'll stick with out of box stock revolvers. You're not going to go wrong with any quality made modern revolver IF IT FITS.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default piggybacking

I'm going to jump on this thread and ask about this Taurus .357.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=278&category=Revolver

I kind of like the 7-shot capacity (though i would hate to be the guy that gets pumped with 7 rounds). Anyone care to speak of Taurus's quality?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I own 2 Taurus revolvers. They are decent guns. I had my 6 inch Taurus tuned to get it up to where I wanted it. Taurus guns are trying real hard to come up to the accuracy that most American shooters demand from their handguns. Out of the box, a good number of Taurus pistols need a little tweaking. Not all of them do need tweaking but a good percentage do. My 6 inch Taurus now shoots almost as well as my 6 inch Smith & Wesson which was put together to do competition shooting. I would not hesitate to carry or use a Taurus revolver at all.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:05 AM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a fan of the Dan Wessen Revolvers Myself.

Google Dan Wesson PPC to see what I'm talking about lol.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseharmonix View Post

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=278&category=Revolver

I kind of like the 7-shot capacity (though i would hate to be the guy that gets pumped with 7 rounds). Anyone care to speak of Taurus's quality?
I have this revolver and I like it. Reliable and shoots straight. Kind of big for a carry weapon. It is a fun gun and easy to maintain. Relatively inexpensive.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #26

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I would absolutely, without a doubt, trust my life to a S&W revolver. Also, something about S&W creating the .357 mag round for PDs back in whatever year it was, makes me want to go with a Smith even more.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseharmonix View Post

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

I carry this gun every day. I am wearing right now as I type.

It's a good weapon. Obviously, fit and finish are not quite Colt python or S&W level, but I have found it to be a great shooter.

It consistently puts lead on target, and does not have any problems. It's my second taurus, and I love it. It's big and heavy though. Concealed carry can be tricky.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Smith and Ruger both are excellent. I've got 586 and 686 Smith's and several Rugers. Also carried a Ruger Speed Six for many years. Tough and reliable. Agree that for home use, the 4" bbl is what you want. Either of the aforementioned makes are excellent revolvers and will serve you well.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #29

I have a 586, a SP101, and a GP100. I love them all. The Ruger action can be slicked up very nice. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:36 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Default hard question

The Ruger GP100 is the most accurate .357 I 've shot out of the box. The Ruger Security -six seemed a really good combination of many things. I'm not sure which is prettier the Python or the Smith 27. My favorite for shooting is a Smith 686. The lightest one I own is a Tarus. The one I carry the most is a Smith model 60 3 inch. It's not overly large for double action shooting with my middle sized hands and shoots well after the trigger has been tuned. If you or your wife is recoil sensitive, the ability to use .38 spl. ammo allows a person to get use to it a little at a time and for inexpensive practice Smith has made an excellent J frame .22.