Nagant revolver ammo

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Nagant revolver ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default Nagant revolver ammo

Okay, if ammo were unavailable for the Nagant revolver (m1895, I don't know of another model), it's pretty well documented that .32 H&R mag will work and work well.

Now we have the .327 federal mag, and I was wondering if that would work too?

This is for curiosity sake. I would like to get one, I've found one pretty cheap but will probably have to pass for the sake of bills.

I've also found some standard ammo for it at a pretty decent price, but if one should run out and not be able to find any more...

I know nothing about the differences between the .32 mag, and .327.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #2

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default .32 vs .327

The .327 Federal magnum is essentially a .32 H&R magnum lengthened by 1/8 of an inch. However, The .327 Federal magnum has a chamber pressure of around 45,000 psi compared to 20,000 psi for the .32 H&R magnum.You can shoot .32 H&R magnums in a gun chambered for .327 Federal magnums - but not vice versa. You would be very unwise to shoot or try to shoot ammo with 45000psi in an old Nagant Revolver.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #3

So, maybe it will chamber the round. But it would essentially turn into a manually detonated hand grenade. Doesn't sound to fun to me.

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:11 AM   #4

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

I believe you mean just use the empty 327 mag brass not try to shoot the mag shells in that old revolver(I don't think they would fit without being resized anyway). You would need reloading dies of course.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #5

Liked 36 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you want to fire a nagant revolver just get the ammo that it is chambered for. There is plenty out there and not that expensive, You never want to have a gun come apart in your hand for lack of proper ammo. Just go with what the gun calls for. Best regards

Ignorance is the most expensive commodity that you can own

Old 10-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #6

No I'm not talking about reloading, and I'm not talking about getting a gun just to see what I can put through it.

For the Nagant M1895, ammo isn't exactly carried in the local Wal-Mart.
It was only a theoretical question, about a gun I don't even have, and ammo I don't even shoot.

The Q was, since .32 H&R, and S&W, run fine in one of these, if a person had NO other ammo available, could they run .327?

The answer is no. It would possibly explode. If it would even fit lengthwise.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1342 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

Ammunition - Shop Premium & Discount Ammunition at MidwayUSA

When all else fails.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #8

Liked 1652 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
No I'm not talking about reloading, and I'm not talking about getting a gun just to see what I can put through it.

For the Nagant M1895, ammo isn't exactly carried in the local Wal-Mart.
It was only a theoretical question, about a gun I don't even have, and ammo I don't even shoot.

The Q was, since .32 H&R, and S&W, run fine in one of these, if a person had NO other ammo available, could they run .327?

The answer is no. It would possibly explode. If it would even fit lengthwise.
The question seems to be, if I have it right is: If I were in a desperate defensive situation and only had a Nagant revolver and .327 ammo, is it ok to use it? The answer is if you have gotten yourself into a situation where you are depending on a Nagant and the wrong ammo, you have not prepared very well. Failing to prepare will not mitigate the thing blowing up in your face, and would leave you in a very poor defensive posture; writhing blind on the ground. The Nagant may shoot 10,000 rounds of .327, or it might blow on the 1st, 4th or the 77th round. Don't risk it.

The Nagant revolver is a very poor choice for anything except a novelty, fun shoot, or a wall hanger, or as an example of Eastern Eurpoean history. I would hate to be in a position where I had to depend on one of them to save my life, I would rather have a Raven .25 for defense than a Nagant revolver; and the Raven and the ammo cost a lot less.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-21-2011, 05:25 AM   #9

Look, I've got nothing but respect for you guys, especially Hiwall, 303tom, and Chainfire. But I feel like y'all are downing me on a question of curiosity. We aren't talking about a desperate situation or anything like that.

I know where to find some ammo for it, Google! (I do appreciate the link though, thanks).

NO, this was more a question for curiosity. I may get one (as a novelty) because they are cheap.

For SD I have a .357 magnum, with a fairly large pile of .38 special and .357. The pile isn't nearly large enough though, it never is

If I had one, it would be for the exact purposes you pointed out Chainfire. I definitely would not be counting on a .32 for SD.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #10

Liked 1652 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Look, I've got nothing but respect for you guys, especially Hiwall, 303tom, and Chainfire. But I feel like y'all are downing me on a question of curiosity. We aren't talking about a desperate situation or anything like that.

I know where to find some ammo for it, Google! (I do appreciate the link though, thanks).

NO, this was more a question for curiosity. I may get one (as a novelty) because they are cheap.

For SD I have a .357 magnum, with a fairly large pile of .38 special and .357. The pile isn't nearly large enough though, it never is

If I had one, it would be for the exact purposes you pointed out Chainfire. I definitely would not be counting on a .32 for SD.
I apologize Trip, I guess I misunderstood your question. As a novelty they are fun revolvers, they are expensive to feed, and have horrible triggers and Superman couldn't do a tactical reload with one. I bought one, played with it for a year, sold it for what I paid for it, and all was good.

Go get you one, for a hundred bucks you can't go wrong.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan