Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > nagant revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Default nagant revolver

looking at a russian revolver wanted some opinions about it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2327 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Texaswoodworker is the man to talk to about them.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 06-26-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7622 Times on 3317 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Quote:
wanted some opinions about it.
Well, ugly as a mud fence. Most have a trigger pull similar to starting a Model T with a hand crank. Interesting design, inexpensive, ammo can be a challenge.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:50 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6544 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

They're very cool little guns. Unlike normal revolvers, their cylinder slides forwards when cocked. This, in combination with their specially designed ammo will create a gas seal that will add 200-300 fps to the bullet's velocity. It also allows them to be successfully suppressed.

Generally, they have a pretty heavy trigger when fired double action. This can be fixed with a little careful filing (check out THENAGANTMAN on youtube. he has a video on how to do this correctly). The trigger is not too bas when fired single action. There are also a few versions of the Russian model. They come in SA only (issued to enlisted), and SA/DA (issued to officers).

It can be pretty accurate depending on the ammo you used, and the condition of the gun's bore. 7.62 Nagant is hard to find at times, but there are a lot of online stores that have it now. It will generally cost about $20-$25 for a box of 50. An alternate choice would be to use a similar caliber, or reload for it. .32 S&W short, .32 S&W long, and .32 H&R magnum will all work in this gun, but will not be very accurate, and the cases will usually bulge, or split.

Here are a couple links for it's factory ammo.

(Surplus---- http://www.jgsales.com/7.62-nagant-russian-surplus-108gr-fmj,-14rd-box.-p-6865.html )

(New--- http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP762Nag&name=Prvi+Partizan+PPU+ 7.62+Nagant+98grn+FPJ+50rd+Box&groupid=124 )

Reloading is the cheapest choice in the long run, and will give you the best accuracy. LEE makes a set of 7.62 Nagant dies that work great. They work by reforming .32-20 brass (starline works best since it's rim is slightly thinner), and uses .311-.313 lead bullets. You can get plated bullets too, but I have never used them, so I'm not sure what size works best.

If you use lead bullets, make sure to take the cylinder off every 25-50 rds, and clean the cylinder pin. If you don't, the cylinder could become stuck. This happens because lead builds up on the pin after each shot. It literally only takes 2 seconds to take the pin off, so this is not a major problem at all.

The gun itself shouldn't cost anymore then $100-$120. They come with a holster, a cleaning rod, and a screwdriver. Some come with a lanyard, but mine didn't. They are great guns for plinking, and are really fun to shoot.

Here's a pic of it's special gas seal ammo.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 06-26-2012 at 03:58 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #5

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

Great post...+1

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 06-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #6

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

are they accurate

Old 06-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #7

Liked 2152 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

[

Quote:
quote=texaswoodworker;849647]They're very cool little guns. Unlike normal revolvers, their cylinder slides forwards when cocked. This, in combination with their specially designed ammo will create a gas seal that will add 200-300 fps to the bullet's velocity. It also allows them to be successfully suppressed.

Generally, they have a pretty heavy trigger when fired double action. This can be fixed with a little careful filing (check out THENAGANTMAN on youtube. he has a video on how to do this correctly). The trigger is not too bas when fired single action. There are also a few versions of the Russian model. They come in SA only (issued to enlisted), and SA/DA (issued to officers).

It can be pretty accurate depending on the ammo you used, and the condition of the gun's bore. 7.62 Nagant is hard to find at times, but there are a lot of online stores that have it now. It will generally cost about $20-$25 for a box of 50. An alternate choice would be to use a similar caliber, or reload for it. .32 S&W short, .32 S&W long, and .32 H&R magnum will all work in this gun, but will not be very accurate, and the cases will usually bulge, or split.

Reloading is the cheapest choice in the long run, and will give you the best accuracy. LEE makes a set of 7.62 Nagant dies that work great. They work by reforming .32-20 brass (starline works best since it's rim is slightly thinner), and uses .311-.313 lead bullets. You can get plated bullets too, but I have never used them, so I'm not sure what size works best.

If you use lead bullets, make sure to take the cylinder off every 25-50 rds, and clean the cylinder pin. If you don't, the cylinder could become stuck. This happens because lead builds up on the pin after each shot. It literally only takes 2 seconds to take the pin off, so this is not a major problem at all.

The gun itself shouldn't cost anymore then $100-$120. They come with a holster, a cleaning rod, and a screwdriver. Some come with a lanyard, but mine didn't. They are great guns for plinking, and are really fun to shoot.

Can't think of a thing to add to that
Except its a cool inexspensive shooter that will get some attention at the range

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #8

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
[

Can't think of a thing to add to that
Except its a cool inexspensive shooter that will get some attention at the range
Plus dem funny lookin' boolits too...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #9

Liked 359 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Aaron nice write up! I wish I had that kind of passion at your age!...lol

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6544 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrichthedragon View Post
are they accurate
They can be. There are some target models floating around out there (I think the only difference is that they have a longer, thicker barrel, and a set of large target grips).
Don't expect it to win any accuracy competitions with them. You may also have to fiddle with the sights a bit when you first get it. Mine were off somewhat, but they are easy to adjust. One last thing, most Nagants were zeroed at about 25 meters, so if you want to shoot at targets any closer then that, aim low.
I recommend getting one. $100 is not much for a gun like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Aaron nice write up! I wish I had that kind of passion at your age!...lol
Thanks. I have always had a love of history, and guns, and gun design. So I really like learning about the guns I buy.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 06-26-2012 at 07:56 PM.