NAA .22 mini mag - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > NAA .22 mini mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

The NAA Mini Master was brand new at the time. 5-shot unfluted .22 Mag cylinder, stainless, 11 ozs., 4" barrel. This has been my backpacking pistol I wrote about for outdoor magazines that aren't even around anymore. I contacted NAA with a great idea: "can you guys custom-fit an additional fluted cylinder to the gun in .22 LR?"

They did. The second arm was/is a fine gun -- the first one went back as they were still working out production issues (bent hammer, chatter marks all over...). Eats 45-grain Hornady Critical Defense .22 Mag these days...

naa-mini-master.jpg  

Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
Who has this gun? Is the interchangeable chamber option worth the extra money? Does the 1 & 5/8 barrel have any performance efficiencies over the 1 & 1/8? How does the pocket carry compare to the Ruger LCP sized semi's?
I had one of these when they first came out. Did not have the larger grips, so every time you fired you had to re-adjust your grip on the little stainless steel mini revolver. I am a pretty good shot, but was not able to plink cans placed on the ground in front of me with it. The little revolver impressed me only as a defensive "belly gun".

I worked the evening shift, and because my car was dead, I walked to and from work through some bad areas. I had a concealed carry permit and usually had a Colt Python in a shoulder rig.

Never had any problems till one night I thought I would leave the Colt at home, and carry this little North American in my gloved hand. That night, I was buzzed by a car full of loud drunks, three times, the last time on a dark stretch of street, where they proceeded to bring the car up onto the sidewalk, and announced they were going to "kick my ass". I brought out my tiny revolver and announced that I was "armed". I never wish so hard that I had not left the python at home. They were drunk, and not impressed by my little pistol. One of the guys in the back seat yelled that he had a gun too. I got closer to the passenger side of the car, and put the gun in the guys face and said I couldn't shoot all of them,( it was very dark), but if there was any shooting, "this guy gets shot first!" The guy in the front passenger side told his drunk "armed" friend to shut up, and they eventually got back into the car and drove away, and I beat-feet home by the shortest route, and never did find a cop.

The NAA mini revolver is minimal deterrence. It is not impressive. One guy even said, "he's got a lighter" l thought that I was going to actually have to shoot someone that night. I feel that this little gun, other than as a collectible oddity, was not useful, because it was not readily recognized as a threat to the drunks in the car, as much as my larger Colt would have been. Presentation is a part of a defensive posture. Never left home without the Python in a shoulder rig after that.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Last edited by HM2Grunt; 12-21-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A few comments...with the larger rubber grips, standard on the Black Widow and Mini Master, the magnum mini does not jump out of the hand. When I target shoot with the Black Widow, I keep a death grip on the gun, lock my wrist and elbow, and then move my whole arm like a tank turret. I have become quite accurate using this method. Of course, this kind of shooting would rarely apply in a self-defense situation.

And, like HM2Grunt, I have serious doubts about the deterrent effect of the mini if I have to draw it. No doubt firing off a "demo shot" would likely change the bad guys' opinion, due to the large report and impressive fireball, but that opens legal cans of worms that do not favor the citizen.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just bought the black widow less than an hour ago. Can't wait to get some lead down range!!

Old 12-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just went plinking in the back yard and i must say i really like this gun. Its comfortable for me to shoot one handed (6' 6" 300 lbs) which surprised me. It steadily consumed a mixed diet of cci maxi mags and critical defense flawlessly. Im happy with the 289.99 that i paid for it

Old 12-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #16

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

I have a couple of NAA mini's. Minimal self defense. Only good for shooting at BG's within about a 10 ft radius.

Be prepared to run if they have a bigger gun!

Old 12-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #17

The main appeal of these for self defense (other then novelty) is as a last ditch tool. They are small enough that they can always be carried and disappear on a person. I always have mine stashed In my pocket no matter what I am wearing, but it is not usually my primary weapon.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Had one for a very brief time. My son summed it up when he said, if you were using it for sel defense, if you pushed it against your target you'd have a 50-50 chance of hitting it. I realize you,can't expect much from such a short barreled gun but this thing was way past unacceptable in my opinion. Luckily sold it for what
I paid.

... ed ...
MAINE - The Way Life Should Be ...

Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have no problem hitting a pie plate at 25 feet with mine. You just need to practice more. In my opinion if I'm drawing a pistol its to shoot it, not intimidate someone with it or bluff. So the size doesn't matter. If someone still insists on assaulting me and my family after telling them "I'm armed" then they're getting shot.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveneap View Post
Had one for a very brief time. My son summed it up when he said, if you were using it for sel defense, if you pushed it against your target you'd have a 50-50 chance of hitting it. I realize you,can't expect much from such a short barreled gun but this thing was way past unacceptable in my opinion. Luckily sold it for what
I paid.
This is just wrong. I shoot at dime and quarter sized targets at 15 and 20 feet and hit 'em all day long with the Black Widow. Maybe your mini was just too small for your hand. The gun itself is accurate if the shooter can hold it securely.