Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   My wife's 1st revolver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/my-wifes-1st-revolver-85336/)

johnty1911 02-27-2013 06:02 PM

My wife's 1st revolver

My wife and I are looking to get a gun each, after going through the different options with my wife she has now piped up with an interest in revolvers,

In semi-auto she likes a 9mm, and a smaller frame would fit her hand better not a compact but a subframe. Job

What kind of revolver and caliber would you recommend and also what kind of orice am I looking at?

Cherts

Jagermeister 02-27-2013 06:17 PM

The Yankee Marshal on You Tube is a revolver guy. Check out his videos. He says the J frame revolvers in .38 is a great cc revolver. I like semis because of capacity and carry options. See if you can try out different types of guns to determine what she is most comfortable with. Price range is so variant and depends on your location. Used or new. Cabelas
is selling a S&W J frame between 400 to 600 dollars.

shouldazagged 02-27-2013 07:36 PM

Best idea, of course, is for her to go to a range where she can rent various guns and try shooting them to see what she likes. It's a highly personal choice.

The J-frames are fine carry guns, but the Airweights and still lighter models are not fun for most people to shoot, even with +P .38 Special, much less the .357 jobs. The .38's can sting your hand, and a lot of experienced shooters say the Magnums are downright painful. For a first revolver to carry, I think she might be more comfortable with an all-steel piece in .38 Special +P. Due to severe arthritis I've carried a concealed-hammer 640 .38 for years. Only weighs 21 ounces unloaded, not a burden to carry. With Pachmayr Compac grips it's comfortable to shoot and won't snag on the draw. With good +P I don't feel undergunned.

blindshooter 02-27-2013 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a very dependable and accurate 32 S&W and with the money you save on this one, you can buy the little lady a S&W model 29.

Jagermeister 02-27-2013 08:06 PM

Sound advice! Please listen to both of us about trying out various guns before purchase. You will always get a million suggestions about what gun is best, yet it is a personal choice. For example, As a former shooting instructor, I have seen many bring Glocks. Normally LEO tells them that is the best gun to buy. You have no idea how many people have problems with Glocks! You can insert any gun in the above statement. Maybe your wife will end up liking a .40. My kids (boy and girl) have no problem with it (hint hint). Or, Maybe she will feel more comfortable with higher capacity magazine. Lastly, I always tell my students to also buy a good home defense shotgun. Please do if you do not own one. Also night sights and/or flashlights. Practice, practice, practice. Sign up for local courses. I love buying a new gun. Enjoy the experience!

Jagermeister 02-27-2013 08:11 PM

Wow blindshooter, how about a little history. Also, how old is it?

johnty1911 02-27-2013 08:30 PM

Thank you all very much for the sound advice were going to head out with the father-in-law and try a range of different guns for us both and then make our decisions on which we both want a present from her to me and me to her etc

shootinbil 02-27-2013 08:31 PM

I just pick up the S&W bodyguard 38. I put a 100 round through it with no problems.

blindshooter 02-27-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister (Post 1156784)
Wow blindshooter, how about a little history. Also, how old is it?

I bought it at a flee market and the old man that sold it to me said Billy The Kid owned it. He looked like an honest man and I only gave $500.00 for it.
That's not bad for a valuable piece of old western memorabilia, don't you think?

Chase127 03-02-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindshooter

I bought it at a flee market and the old man that sold it to me said Billy The Kid owned it. He looked like an honest man and I only gave $500.00 for it.
That's not bad for a valuable piece of old western memorabilia, don't you think?

Billy the kid favored the smith an wesson lightning 2 in 44 caliber he is not known to have carried very many other weapons aside from a winchester 98