Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   My new Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/my-new-super-blackhawk-bisley-hunter-70682/)

hallboy 08-19-2012 02:10 PM

My new Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter

1 Attachment(s)
I picked this up the other day. I plan to deer hunt with it this fall. I would like some feedback to what kind of ammo to use. And also what kind of scope to top it with

mdauben 08-19-2012 03:32 PM

Sweet gun! I really like the looks of the Ruger SA revolvers and I've heard nothing but good reports about the SBH.

winds-of-change 08-19-2012 04:55 PM

I'd like to see a picture of it when it's scoped. Nice revolver.

CA357 08-19-2012 05:01 PM

Very nice. Take a look at a Nikon extended eye relief scope. They are well priced excellent quality scopes. They're not dirt cheap, but they won't break the bank.

ColdIron44 08-20-2012 05:37 PM

I do love me some Blackhawk!

Ammo:
I haven't explored too greatly or delved too deeply into .44 magnum offerings, but I've taken one doe with the cheap ole 240 grain Winchester white box. JSP if I remember correctly. Lost a good bit of meat that day. I don't quite understand why, but I am ever so slightly more accurate with 240 grain JHP loads... Reckon you should try em all!

Scope:
I second the praises of Nikon's affordable and well made glass, but I myself will never again purchase anything higher than 2x magnification power. The 4x I was using was fun at the range, but was a bit much for field application. Handgun scopes have smaller eye pieces which are roughly two feet further from the eye as compared to rifle scopes. Couple that with the range at which I am willing to attempt to take an animal with a .44 mag., and very quickly I am looking at a glass full of fur. Granted, you may be a better shot than me and possess better eyesight than mine, but I for one am satisfied at 2x!

orangello 08-20-2012 06:57 PM

NICE! Why did you choose the Bisley grip?

25-5 08-20-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello

I have had both Blackhawks, and the Bisley grip helped on recoil. The hammer spur is lower and allows easy thumb access from support hand or grip hand.

Rick1967 08-20-2012 10:26 PM

I have a Tasco Pistol scope on my contender. It is a 4x. Works good for me.

hallboy 08-21-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello

Actually I didn't like the Bisley just by looking at it on the website. But a buddy of mine had been looking for one for a while. I was at a local shop and they had one. After I got my hands on it I fell in love. My buddy ended up buying it. It took a month or so to get it. But I finally have it and can't wait to shoot it.

hallboy 08-21-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdIron44
I do love me some Blackhawk!

Ammo:
I haven't explored too greatly or delved too deeply into .44 magnum offerings, but I've taken one doe with the cheap ole 240 grain Winchester white box. JSP if I remember correctly. Lost a good bit of meat that day. I don't quite understand why, but I am ever so slightly more accurate with 240 grain JHP loads... Reckon you should try em all!

Scope:
I second the praises of Nikon's affordable and well made glass, but I myself will never again purchase anything higher than 2x magnification power. The 4x I was using was fun at the range, but was a bit much for field application. Handgun scopes have smaller eye pieces which are roughly two feet further from the eye as compared to rifle scopes. Couple that with the range at which I am willing to attempt to take an animal with a .44 mag., and very quickly I am looking at a glass full of fur. Granted, you may be a better shot than me and possess better eyesight than mine, but I for one am satisfied at 2x!

Thanks for the info. I picked up some 240gr JHP Federal I'm gonna give a try. As for the scope I'm still undecided. I do like the Nikon however. None of the local shops stock it though.