Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > My latest acquisition...S&W Model-29 (Dirty Harry)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default My latest acquisition...S&W Model-29 (Dirty Harry)

This one has been on my bucket list for a long time. I previously owned a nickle plated 4" model-29 that had endurance issues, so it became trade-in fodder for something else. Several years have passed since then, and while out gun shopping for the wife, I noticed sitting on the bottom shelf what originally appeared to be a model-27, but was in fact a brand new, classic series S&W model-29 with a 6.5" barrel......

The wife wasn't too impressed with the price tag, but I got it anyway....

Picked it up this past Friday, and have already put 220 rounds down range with it. A few rounds from the bench to get it sighted in, then posted a new target and shot this 6 round group at 15 yards with a 2 hand hold......

.44 Magnum ammo is at a premium right now costing anywhere from 40 to 50 dollars a box, but since I reload my actual cost to run this one will be greatly reduced. Besides I like reloading to .44Spl. spec's, they're a lot more enjoyable to shoot.....

Over all I'm very pleased with my new wheel gun, now the only thing left on my bucket list is a Rolex Submariner......

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #2

Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Very Nice!

I've got the 629 Mountain Gun which is the SS, Snub Nosed version of your "Dirty Harry".

but... what's with the "band aid" on the web of your shooting hand partner?

... a bit of "slide bite" perhaps from an earlier session with a semi auto?

Tack

Old 05-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 298 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Beautiful gun. It is also a bucket list gun for me. One of my LGSs has a NIB 7.5" for $800. I just can't quite bring myself to put out the money.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:24 AM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Very Nice!

I've got the 629 Mountain Gun which is the SS, Snub Nosed version of your "Dirty Harry".

but... what's with the "band aid" on the web of your shooting hand partner?

... a bit of "slide bite" perhaps from an earlier session with a semi auto?

Tack
Nice shootin' iron thee...But I wanna know about the band aid too. Was that how you ended up wit ha wheel gun? Dag nab autos and their slidy things!!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-29-2013, 04:37 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfGuitar
This one has been on my bucket list for a long time. I previously owned a nickle plated 4" model-29 that had endurance issues, so it became trade-in fodder for something else. Several years have passed since then, and while out gun shopping for the wife, I noticed sitting on the bottom shelf what originally appeared to be a model-27, but was in fact a brand new, classic series S&W model-29 with a 6.5" barrel......

Picked it up this past Friday, and have already put 220 rounds down range with it. A few rounds from the bench to get it sighted in, then posted a new target and shot this 6 round group at 15 yards with a 2 hand hold......

.44 Magnum ammo is at a premium right now costing anywhere from 40 to 50 dollars a box, but since I reload my actual cost to run this one will be greatly reduced. Besides I like reloading to .44Spl. spec's, they're a lot more enjoyable to shoot.....

Over all I'm very pleased with my new wheel gun, now the only thing left on my bucket list is a Rolex Submariner......
Beautiful. Congratulations!

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #6

Liked 343 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
But I wanna know about the band aid too.
Never needed a Band-Aid there. I did need one on the heel of my hand. The factory checkered grips on the Model 29 would bloody my hand every time I took it out. A set of Pachmayr grips solved that problem as well as soaking up some of the recoil. They don't look as good, functionality makes up for it.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #7

Liked 1641 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 1093

I have a 4 inch 629. They are not cheap. But I know how you feel about the look of that gun. I have a 6 inch 586 exactly like the one in my avatar. There is just something about the look of a classic blued Smith and Wesson.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 05-30-2013, 12:49 AM   #9

Liked 112 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 36

You are 'Cold Bold Callahan' with his great big .44. Every other cop in this city is satisfied with a .38 or a .357 ...
Why do you have to carry that cannon for ?

Because I hit what i aim at, that's why. a .357's a good weapon but i've seen .38's careen off windshields. No good in a city like this.

I see. So, it's for the penetration.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 05-31-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
Ara

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfGuitar

The model 29 is truly a beauty (and a beast!).
Congrats. I've been wanting one for quite some time.

As far as the Submariner is concerned, I suggest you pick one up right away.
Rolex increase prices by almost 15% every year!
Great timepiece!