My first wheel gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > My first wheel gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default My first wheel gun

Well I finally decided on the S&W model 629 Classic 5" barrel, my brother in law was pushing the Ruger SBH and my son in law liked the Taurus Raging Bull, I also consider buying a used Colt Python but when it got down to it I really liked the 629's trigger and overall look and feel in my hand, I ordered it from Buds so my local FFL should get it Thursday and I should be able to pick it up Saturday although that is the 1st New Years Days so I probably won't get it till Monday, can't hardly wait. I'll post pics and a range report soon afterwards. I'd like to hear some of ya'lls opinions on the 629.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #2

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The S & W Model 629 is a stainless steel revolver, other than that its an excellent gun. I've got several Model 29s, one 6" and one 5" full lug barrel. I'm sort of partial to the 5" full lug barrel. The weight of the full lug barrel soaks up recoil making the gun more pleasant to shoot with full power loads.

All of my 29s are fine guns. My oldest gave me many problems, an early model, but returned it to the factory for the endurance package addition, now incorporated into all .44s, and no problem since. I DO push my guns considerable with heavy magnum loads and heavy bullets, and 10,000 rounds is an average mileage in my guns.

Well, age and finances have slowed me down a bit.

Bob Wright

Old 12-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default My first wheel gun

Wow great information I do agree with the 5" barrel and the balance it's perfect in my hand and has a great classic look to it.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations. Please post pics and a range report when you can.

I used to have a 629 with the 6.5" barrel and it is one of the few handguns that I really miss.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default I got the 629

Well its been awhile since I made this post and I don't have the gun today. The gun made it to my FFL dealer on the 30th of Dec. I went to pick it up and I couldn't wait to take her to the range so I get there and the guy who does the FFL transfers asks is this suppose to be a brand new gun, I said the description on the website where I bought it described it as (NIB) he says he didn't think so he thought it was second hand and that I really need to check it out and if I had any doubts don't except it, so I looked and it did appear to have been used quit a bit, the top strap seemed really stained not just dirty the front of the cylinder was the same way and being that I have never bought a stainless steel revolver I couldn't be sure that it was new cause all the ones I looked at in the gun shops were shiney clean so I did not except it. I went back home and called the dealer and told him I was very disappointed with the condition of the gun and did not except it and I wanted it replaced with a brand new one, he told me it was common for Smith & Wesson stainless steel revolvers to be tested before they are shipped and not always cleaned up, I told him I didn't believe that was the case and I wanted another gun sent, so they sent me another and it was very clean in comparison but really not shiney clean but I decided to go ahead and except it. Next day me and a buddy go to the NRA range in Fairfax I bring my 629 and my PX4 Storm in .45acp and a few 100 rounds of both, I start with the .44 first, drop a load in with my new speed loader, pull the hammer back and fire it hits a little left I pull the hammer back second shot a little left of the first shot next shot I cock the hammer and fire and there's nothing I rapidly fire off 3 more and nothing the firing pin appeared jamed half way out, just enough to jam the cylinder shut I pushed and pulled and wiggled the cylinder till it finally opened I could see where the firing pin had struck the 3rd shot but not hard enough to fire and there were no marks on the remaining 3 bullets. So I contacted S&W and they emailed me a FedEx airbill and gave me complete instrution on how to send it back, I got to say those first 2 shots were awesome not all the kick I was expecting it felt very comfortable. I have about a minimum 2 week wait till I get to take her back to the range, hey what are you gonna do, grin and bare it I guess here are a few pics
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Real nice guns. I have one with a 4 in. barrel so can tell you your going to love it. It was alittle heaver than I wanted for a ccw so I picked up a 329. It`s as smooth as the 629, but not for those that can`t take alittle recoil.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 01-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Shame your having problems. That's a great looking gun. Hope it comes back soon

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 01-16-2011, 03:08 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5637 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 372

nice shooter there. it is true that s&w test fires them but they dont look like 700 rounds ran through it. typically its only one magazine or 6 shots in the case of revolvers. the guy you got em from prolly selling them as new evn tho he prolly got em trade. lots of used 44mag can look brand spanking new. peeps will buy em fire a cylinder full then go "oh crap i dont like this" and trade it in.

for a dealer to sell a used gun new is a big no-no and can result in ffl revoke from what i understand.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-02-2011, 02:03 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Got her back today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Shame your having problems. That's a great looking gun. Hope it comes back soon
Well got her back today not bad service 2 weeks and 1 day, the work order they sent back said they replaced the bushing and the firing pin, I didn't get a chance to get by the range today but I should be able to take off work a little early and test her out... can't wait, I got 500 rounds in while she was being repaired, hopefully I can finally post a report how great she performed rather then what a failure she was.