My first "serious revolver"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > My first "serious revolver"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 11:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default My first "serious revolver"

While I've been heavily invested in the 1911 community for several years, the idea of having a reasonably powerful, snub-nosed revolver in my carry rotation has always appealed to me. When I learned a couple of years ago that Charter Arms of Connecticut had announced their Pitbull line of snubbies in .40 S&W and 9mm Luger I was more than a little intrigued. I put my name on a wish-list down at the little LGS that handles Charter guns for a 9mm version and sorta forgot about it...for almost two years!
Last Tuesday I got an email saying they finally had one come it and was I still interested in it. Interested? The next morning I was at their door when they opened and fifteen minutes later had its box beside me on the way home!
While I haven't made it to the range yet, I have to say I'm in a pretty committed relationship with the Pitbull-Nine. It's very nicely finished, well constructed and in snap-cap dry firing it has a trigger that is glass-rod crisp in single action (as expected) and very butter smooth in double (as hoped for). Like I said; I've mostly been a 1911-guy so trigger feel is something I look for in a gun and this feels pretty good.
I'm making a range trip in a day or two so I'll have more to report then but I've already put it to work on my hip in a Galco IWB, loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. It fill the gap between a S&W .380 Bodyguard and a RIA .45 ACP Compact as a carry gun and I'm expecting it to shoot just fine. I know these are in fairly rare circulation so I'll pass on my range report when I can. This should be fun!

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 300 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 881

A few years back the Charter Arms Pug was sent to a gun magazine for review. It was on the cover for that issue. It got an excellent review. I was lucky enough to buy that very pistol after it was test fired and reviewed. I have shot 44 Russian, 44 Colt and 44 Special ammo. It has a smooth trigger. I'm very pleased with it. I am now looking for a Charter Arms Patriot .(327 Magnum) would consider others except taurus.

Married 28 years---I'm starting to think it might work out.
Second Generation N R A Life Member

Old 11-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #3

Liked 2570 Times on 1671 Posts

Its almost sacrilege to dedicate a revolver to 9 or 40, but I would probably change my mind after shooting it. The .357 SIG in a revolver, hmmmm.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 11-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Had charter guns long ago. Just got my Pitbull 9 after about a 9 month wait. My only issue is the Grip, so I'm looking for a replacement. Fits very nicely in many different holsters, including a pocket holster.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 11-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #5

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nice picture.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3086 Times on 1547 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Its almost sacrilege to dedicate a revolver to 9 or 40, but I would probably change my mind after shooting it. The .357 SIG in a revolver, hmmmm.
Bottleneck cartridges in a revolver have always been problematic. They tend to bind up cylinders. Besides, the point of the .357 Sig is that a real .357 Magnum doesn't really work in the typical service pistol. Switching to a revolver eliminates that limitation.

My biggest problem with 9 mm revolvers has always been the fact that they run at .357 magnum-like pressures (35,000psi) and produce .38 Special like performance. It just always stuck me as a waste of the revolver's potential.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 11-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #7

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I took the new Pitbull out for some exercise yesterday. As I said, I'm mostly a 1911-guy with only a couple of .22 revolvers in my safe and a session with a friends S&W .357 magnum a while back so it was a shakedown cruise for both of us. For me, it is a comfortable gun to shoot; the chubby rubber grips spread out the recoil nicely and it delivers more of a push to my hand than a whack! like that .357 did. Despite my 1911-style grip being wrong for a wheelgun and the fingerprint-pad trigger placement totally inadequate for double-action shooting I enjoyed the session. I have a lot to learn about revolver shooting I realize but I was able to keep everything on the paper at four and seven yards which makes me comfortable putting it into my carry rotation (one-minute-of-badguy at personal combat distance is a good place to start for me). This is no target gun and I don't have the physical or visual capabilities to be especially accurate at longer range with any handgun, much less a snubby. I'm going to have to work on point-shooting with this thing like I do with my tiny S&W Bodyguard to be really effective but it's so comfortable to shoot that spending a long range session with it won't be unpleasant.
To me the advantage of having a revolver that uses 9mm Parabellum is that the ammunition is very available and that I also have a 1911 that shoots the stuff (a 5" doublestack Rock Island) so I don't have to inventory a greater variety of ammo than I already do. Not needing moonclips means less paraphernalia to lose or mess with (it works very well this way, just make sure the cartridges are fully seated and point the muzzle up when pushing the plunger; I only had a couple fail to extract during the whole session). Reloading is a question I haven't fully answered; for now it's one at a time but I intend to investigate both speed-strips and a speed-loader to see if it can be done faster and still make sure the rounds are properly seated. In many ways this is a real learning process for me so I'll be experimenting with tools and techniques for a while. The differences between the Pitbull and my 1911's are pretty pronounced.
Anyway, that's what I concluded after my first session with the new gun; it shoots nice and feels good with a very smooth trigger but is very different than what I'm used to. The quality of the gun impresses me, nothing came loose during the shooting and it cleaned up easily (which is very different than my autoloaders) and my hand wasn't sore afterward. I think we are going to have a long and happy relationship...

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Last edited by OldEagleEars; 11-07-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 681

Ruger now makes the LCR in 9mm. I believe it is the same frame as the 357 LCR so it weighs in at 17 oz.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:41 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 796

I have a Ruger Blackhawk 357mag/9mm convertible. I have shot less than two boxes of 9mm ammo through the Blackhawk. There is nothing wrong with the 9mm cylinder. If I am going to drag a 3lb pistol out to shoot it the 357 mag is a lot more fun.

I am not sure I would bet my life on a rimless cartridge in a revolver. For a long time no one made a revolver that would shoot rimless ammo without a moon clip. I would rather not bet my life modern machinery is that much better.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Last edited by John_Deer; 11-13-2014 at 02:47 AM.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:20 AM   #10

Liked 539 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 1330

i find it perfectly reasonable to own a revolver in 9mm or 45 auto if a person owns several or many semi-autos in those calibers. i have thought of several times of buying a revolver in 45 auto simply because of the number of semi-autos i own in that caliber.

but on aside note, i wouldn't even begin to invest in one unless i did own one or several semi-autos in that caliber. as a stand alone, i'd be more apt to buy a revolver in 357 or 44 instead. but as a supplement to a semi-auto, yes, i would consider one.