My choice of a night gun

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > My choice of a night gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default My choice of a night gun

Its been quite a while since I've been on this site probably due to focusing my attention on whats going on in our nation today and probably memory loss due to aging. Anyway, what I choose to put within my reach at night is the Ruger LCR 357 I have. I feel more confident knowing I can point and shoot than having to rack the slide back on my 1911's I own. The reason for this is I don't ever want to have a gun misfire on me if I have to pull it from the holster that's mounted to the bed board right behind my pillow knowing my wife is right next to me. I bought a "Garrison Grip Trigger Stay" that fits behind the trigger of my revolver. There is no way I can pull the trigger with it inserted and it only takes a very easy poke of the finger to pop it out and pull the trigger once aimed. I take this gun along with my 1911's to the range at least twice a week and have gotten as good as shooting the small LCR as I have the 1911's. Actually shooting the Ruger LCR 357 is a cake walk. Its a light gun and the recoil isn't a problem at all.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2013, 12:57 AM   #2

Liked 1132 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 740

Would it be possible if you're half asleep, or stressed for you to forget that thing, and for it not to come out, thereby not letting you squeeze the trigger? Or does it fall out by itself when you yank the gun?

Old 11-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE
I take this gun along with my 1911's to the range at least twice a week
I wish I could go to the range twice a week.

Always have clean socks.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2699 Times on 1876 Posts
Likes Given: 1370

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Would it be possible if you're half asleep, or stressed for you to forget that thing, and for it not to come out, thereby not letting you squeeze the trigger? Or does it fall out by itself when you yank the gun?
No it is not designed to fall out by itself. It may or may not. You want to use a trigger insert because the holster or pillow draw doesn't seem safe in the dark. So eliminate the holster, and don't tuck the gun away. Leave it on the stand or in a drawer. Don;t do anything that will complicate your access and make you fumble in the dark. Just lock it up in the morning.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I have an LCR that I keep on my nightstand at night. I keep it in one of those decorative books that's hollow inside. I guess in a stressful situation you could possibly knock the whole book and gun off the nightstand, but you could easily do the same with a pistol just sitting on your nightstand by itself

Old 11-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Practice makes a difference

I have a holster that is made to attach to the bedboard right behind the pillow. The holster allows me to draw the gun instantly and I have practiced quite abit at night and have had two actual cases where I did have to respond to a threat at night. I put in just about nine years active duty in the service which provided me training with various guns, briefly worked for the Federal Bureau of Prisons and have worked in juvenile corrections which has provided me face to face learning of how many criminals are planning to carry out their agenda. About the only thing going against me these days is the aging process. As far as the small safety plug behind the trigger, the second you grab the gun it pops out with very little effort but will not fall out which is exactly what I want. We're talking a nano second to enable the trigger to be pulled.

Last edited by GaryE; 11-18-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2699 Times on 1876 Posts
Likes Given: 1370

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
I have a holster that is made to attach to the bedboard right behind the pillow. The holster allows me to draw the gun instantly and I have practiced quite abit at night and have had two actual cases where I did have to respond to a threat at night. I put in just about nine years active duty in the service which provided me training with various guns, briefly worked for the Federal Bureau of Prisons and have worked in juvenile corrections which has provided me face to face learning of how many criminals are planning to carry out their agenda. About the only thing going against me these days is the aging process. As far as the small safety plug behind the trigger, the second you grab the gun it pops out with very little effort but will not fall out which is exactly what I want. We're talking a nano second to enable the trigger to be pulled.
ok you got it figured out. I tested that plug on a Glock but lost it soon.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Check to see its for your model

The plugs are manufactured for various models. Check to see of it was made for the make and model gun you own.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #9

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
Anyway, what I choose to put within my reach at night is the Ruger LCR 357 I have.
The LCR is a great little carry gun when size is important but it wouldn't be my first, or even second, choice for a night stand gun (unless ypu need one gun to serve for both CCW and the night stand).

If you want a revolver (and there are good reasons to chose one) I'd rather go with a full size service revolver with a 4 inch barrel. The larger gun will give better performance (I've seen side by side chrono tests that demonstrated in excess of 300 FPS difference with .357 ammo between a 4 in barrel and an LCR) The larger gun will also handle recoil better, probably have less muzzle flash, and probably have better sights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
No it is not designed to fall out by itself. It may or may not. You want to use a trigger insert because the holster or pillow draw doesn't seem safe in the dark. So eliminate the holster, and don't tuck the gun away. Leave it on the stand or in a drawer. Don;t do anything that will complicate your access and make you fumble in the dark. Just lock it up in the morning.
You have to go with what works for you but I don't care for those plugs. To me they just seem a fumble waiting to happen. I keep my night stand gun in an inexpensive nylon holster. Good enough to keep my finger out of the trigger guard if I find myself groping for my gun in the dark but easy to disgard when needed by brushing the gun agaist the side of the drawer or the bed.

YMMV of course.