Model 60 Hammer Bob
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Model 60 Hammer Bob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Default Model 60 Hammer Bob

I have a S&W model 60 and I would like to have the hammer bobbed. I'm assuming this is a total hammer replacement. My question is what should I expect to pay for having the work done? Also any suggestions on other mods I could have done while it becomes a bob? Thanks!
arizona Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Not a hammer replacement.
You definitely want to be sure you want the modification especially if you're going to pay someone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_TvgsLmtN0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I would likely charge $50. I assume most places are in the $75-$150 range.
Just an added note. If you attempt this you do so at your own risk and make sure you don't heat the part up in the process.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler44
I have a S&W model 60 and I would like to have the hammer bobbed. I'm assuming this is a total hammer replacement. My question is what should I expect to pay for having the work done? Also any suggestions on other mods I could have done while it becomes a bob? Thanks!
Other mods you could have done is maybe polishing the sear, or some other trigger work. My model 60 doesn't need it, but I guess it would make it a much sweeter shooter. Although if you're going to be CCing this wheel gun you prolly don't want too short of a trigger pull.

Pictures!

Old 07-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3370 Times on 1929 Posts
Likes Given: 1431

Not knowing how old and used your mdl 60 is, I would suggest the following.

1. Get another hammer to practice on. They are not going to cost that much, and if you like the result, you can replace the original hammer and store it for later.

2. Get a new spring kit. Don't try to adjust the tension of the hammer spring, you'll only end up with light hits on the primer.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

back about 1980,I came into possession of a Model 19 2inch for a song. The previous owner had dropped it and the thumbing spur had broken away leaving a jagged hump behind.. So I decided to clean it up and make a set of Iron wood grips for it. Figured I couldn't screw it up and I could always R&R the part later.

It was easy as pie. I used my moto tool to finish trimming the hump off, with a cutting disc, and a sanding attachment. (I went slow) Then proceeded to polish it with varying applications of compound with the moto tool buffing rubbers and cotton discs. It looked like a professional job.

The grips were a labor of love, and the moto tool was a major asset followed by my drill press.

I sold that pistol many years later.

Become steel or get cut.