Medusa Model 47 - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Medusa Model 47

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekarra View Post
This is a very interesting and informative thread. Thanks to all who participated and I hope it keeps going.

This is the first I have heard of the Colt Survivor and the P&R multi-caliber. Guess I have to do some research this weekend.
This will get you started: Medusa Model 47

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 04-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #32

Liked 775 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 853

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwphillips2 View Post
My bad....

"wondering if you would mind answering some questions?
How did it get the designation "Medusa Model 47"?
Is it possible to get a manual for my Medusa? (maybe a reprint or a scan?)
If i gave you my SN# could you tell me when it was made?
Are there any replacement parts available?
Thanks in advance!"
-------------------------------------------------------

1. Medusa was a Gorgon who had many serpents' heads for hair, any one of which was lethal. Merely looking directly at Medusa was fatal. I was born way back in the 1900s, 1947. Seemed like a good fit.
2. I'll scan in a PDF for everyone on the manual (still looking).
3. After the frames were cast they were machined separately and then the ATF required the serial number to be affixed to the frame and inventoried. We typically worked up each order from the lowest number. ATF requires turning in your registration logs upon dissolution of the company, so I don't have any way to tell you which SN# was finally assembled and sold.
4. No one has been able to tell me where all those valuable spare parts went. I haven't found any.

I promise you that you can't be more disappointed than I about some of these answers. I'll post more pics soon.
Neat info, thanks again! No disappointment here! It does make me feel like perseus.....

Im seeing that you made lots different guns, including a PR series of revolvers and a muti-caliber bolt action rifle. its hard to find info on these, most i can find are just basic descriptions. any info or pics of any of these?

PHILLIPS & ROGERS, INC.
RIFLES: BOLT ACTION
WILDERNESS EXPLORER
- .218 Bee, .22 Hornet, .44 Mag., or .50 AE cal., bolt action, features 18 in. match grade barrel, quick change bolt face and barrel allowing interchangeable calibers, white speckled black synthetic stock, side safety, 5 1/2 lbs. Mfg. 1997 only.

MASTER PR-110 (STANDARD FRAME) Caliber: .218 Bee, .32-20 Winchester, .45 Long Colt, .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, .475 Wildey Magnum, .50 Action Express

STANDARD PR-110 (STANDARD FRAME) Caliber: .22 Hornet

MASTER PR-230 (MIDFRAME) Caliber: .475 Linebaugh, .475 Wildey Magnum

STANDARD PR-230 (MIDFRAME) Caliber: .357 Rem Max (SuperMag), .445 Super Mag, .45 Long Colt, .454 Casull

MASTER PR-320 (STRETCH FRAME) Caliber: Various

STANDARD PR-320 (STRETCH FRAME) Caliber: .375 Winchester, .450 Marlin

I would really like to see a pic of the Wilderness Explorer bolt action! I am very curious how muti-caliber works in a bolt action rifle.....

How 'bout some more info on the 7.62x39 revolver?

I wish i was rich so i could start finding all these neat guns you made.......

Old 04-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #33

A little more neat info i found...
PHILLIPS & ROGERS, INC.
Previous manufacturer 1992-2003, and located in Huntsville, TX since 1997. Previously located in Conroe, TX circa 1992-1997.
In addition to manufacturing the firearms listed, Phillips & Rogers also made a multi-caliber conversion cylinder for all Ruger .357 Mag., new model Blackhawk revolvers (disc. 1996) - the retail price was $145. Multi-caliber conversion cylinders were also available for the Ruger new Model Blackhawk (allows shooting .45 LC, .45 Win. Mag., or .45 ACP - retail price was $185) and the Ruger Super Blackhawk (converts .44 Mag. to .50 AE w/barrel change - $550). A new version of the Ruger .50 AE conversion was also available for $995.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #34

some very helpful info i stole from another forum from Phillips himself..... The Medusa can use some parts from other revolvers. Looks like the FTF will have the best library of info on the Medusa on the net!!!

Quote:
Sometimes when an expanded case like a .30 carbine or 356 TSW gets jammed in the chamber, it's a natural tendency to gently tap on the extractor rod to eject the reluctant case. DON'T DO THIS. Use a screwdriver long enough to clear the case from the cylinder and small enough to fit inside the shell so as not to scrape the chamber wall. The extractor fingers were the only thing that "broke" during use. Otherwise, even Korth admitted we made the world's strongest revolver. Some of the trigger parts require little or no modification when used from a K-frame Smith or Taurus. The Smith mod for a 19-2 or 5 required trimming the crane, so a gunsmith was required.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #35

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Plate gun

I made this plate gun for myself. I won a class B trophy with it switching from 9mm to .38 +P at the 20 yard position It has an extremely shortened action and a bobbed hammer. Built in comp in-barrel. Adjustable and removable front and rear sights. 19-2 S&W conversion. It was at this point I knew I had to cast my own stronger frames. 2,000 rounds of 9mm WinMag had just been sent by Winchester and the 18 Rockwell hardness Smith frames were just too soft, and there wasn't enough meat on the barrel/frame configuration to handle the super hot rounds we were shooting. If you look closely, you'll notice the stainless hammer pin and where the retaining cylinder lug had been trimmed to accommodate the new longer (stronger) cylinder. This was to fully encase all cartridges at full length.

plategunbobbedhamr.jpg  

Last edited by jwphillips2; 04-11-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Caribou Likes This 
Old 04-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #36

Quote:
I made this plate gun for myself. I won a class B trophy with it switching from 9mm to .38 +P at the 20 yard position It has an extremely shortened action and a bobbed hammer. Built in comp in-barrel. Adjustable and removable front and rear sights. 19-2 S&W conversion. It was at this point I knew I had to cast my own stronger frames. 2,000 rounds of 9mm WinMag had just been sent by Winchester and the 18 Rockwell hardness Smith frames were just too soft, and there wasn't enough meat on the barrel/frame configuration to handle the super hot rounds we were shooting. If you look closely, you'll notice the stainless hammer pin and where the retaining cylinder lug had been trimmed to accommodate the new longer (stronger) cylinder. This was to fully encase all cartridges at full length.
WOW!!! Im Breathless!!!! is that a "prototype" Medusa!!!??!!??

Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #37

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Do you still modify 19s like this, (sitting with fingers crossed)

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 04-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #38

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Sorry

We are totally out of business.

Hard chrome coating 6 inch"

hardchrome.jpg  

Last edited by jwphillips2; 04-13-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #39

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default 150 Years of Texas

This is a P&B Ultra made to celebrate the 150th birthday of Texas.

texas150.jpg  

Old 04-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #40

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Pair of BUGs

Colt Survivor and Phillips & Rodgers Vendetta. 38 Supers are great in both.

survivor-vendetta.jpg