Manufacturing Mark or Shrapnel Damage

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Manufacturing Mark or Shrapnel Damage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Manufacturing Mark or Shrapnel Damage

I was cleaning my S&W mod. 36 and noticed a little pit like a center punch would leave right in the center of the corner where the part of the frame below the cylinder meets the part of the frame in front of the cylinder.

At first I thought it was left from a piece of shrapnel. I retired one of those H&H (or H&K?) 9 shot. 22's because the cylinder had enough slop that the barrel would shave part of the bullet and spray shrapnel. But, this gun has never done anything like that, and there's NO slop in the cylinder. Then when I was cleaning my mod. 65 I noticed the same mark on it.

What do you guys think? I'm leaning toward it being made that way, but can't see what it would be for.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-01-2011, 02:59 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8876 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Just took mine out of the holster and looked. Yes, it's there. Possibily oil hole for crane?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:12 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks Shooter, at least now I know it's suppose to be there.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000