Looking at buying a new 44 mag or .357 mag - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Looking at buying a new 44 mag or .357 mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 06:00 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Tough to make a choice I like my S&W Mod.66 to carry around but it's not up to full loads on a regular basis.
The top of the .357 food chain in my opinion is my old Python 1967 vintage
Having said all that if I had to pick one do everything revolver it would be my my old ( 500 series ) .44 Redhawk

TGR

Old 03-18-2010, 12:44 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I don't know how I lived so happily for so long with out a variety of center fire revolvers. Any Smith, Ruger or Colt is just beautiful and they each have their own personality to love and cherish.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I never met a .357 I didn't like. I do favor one over the other though. For down-right maximum shooting power I generally grab my King Cobra. It's been a faithful gun since 1968. I also shoot my 686 with confidence, and its been around since 1980. Never a moments problem. My newest addition is a S&W Model 60. It's too light to shoot all the time but its a great carry gun. I still sort of favor my LCR for daily carry...

Last edited by Mark F; 03-18-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:25 AM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have 2 Rugers that I trust my own and my family's life to, a Super Blackhawk and a Bisley, both .44 mag, both cut down to 5" and parkerized. I prefer the Bisley due to grip shape, but already owned the SBH and can never sell it for what I have into it.
But I have to tell you all a story about Rugers. My buddy GI George bought a Super Redhawk and couldn't get it to shoot worth goobers. He brought it over and asked me to try it. I also had trouble getting better than a 6" pattern at 25 yds. Now I don't claim to be the best shot on the planet, or even the neighborhood, but I'm not that bad, and I know George is better. Also, the thing seemed to kick awfully hard for such a big heavy pistol shooting none to strenuous .44 loads.
I'm not sure what inspired George but he mounted the scope rings on the pistol and stuck a piece of 1" tubing I had in the rings. The pistol barrel noticeably headed off about 12 degrees to the left. He contacted Ruger and they said that was within specs. He then offered to begin taking it to gun shows with tube in scope mounts and factory letter stating this was within specs. They replaced the pistol.
I love my Rugers. I trust them with my life. But when you look at a used one, if the rear sight is adjusted all the way to the right, pass on it and look for a different one.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:05 AM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Are you an experienced handgun shooter or not. Owning handguns does not make one an experienced shooter. If you are not experienced, buy a .22 because neither a .357 and certainly not a .44 mag. are cartridges to learn on. If you are experienced then what do you intend to use the handgun for; hunting deer size game, smaller animals or plinking and paper punching? Deer size game go with the .44 for the added capability it provides. Smaller game and paper punching etc. the .357 would be an excellent choice. Both are excellent cartridges, both can shoot their less powerful counterpart (.44 Special / .38 Special) if one does not want the punch of mag. loads though they will probably require a sight adjustment.

Double action vs. single action? I personally think a single action revolver points more naturally, but that is me. Smith and Wesson manufacturs excellent double action revolvers and Ruger does both single and double action revolvers in several configurations, again excellent handguns. There are other manufacturers out there but chances you won't see a Freedom Arms or Magnum Research which is unfortunate, quality guns.