Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Looking for .44 mag

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aandabooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,443
Liked 298 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
That's about what I'm looking for as well I would like it to try for deer hunting. Have you tried it for this purpose ?
It is setup for deer hunting. This coming season will be my first. I bought the gun used for $375 and put a $300 scope on it. Off a rest at 50 yards it is easily minute of deer with room to spare. I've still got to get it dialed in with my intended hunting load.
__________________
aandabooks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mdauben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 441
Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

I was seriously looking at a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter last year for use as a deer gun. In the end I didn't get one but with the integral scope mounts its a sweet setup. Noticeably less expensive than the S&W Model 629 Classic I was also considering. It would probably be more expensive than the Taurus offerings, though, but I never even considered any of their guns.

__________________
mdauben is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cblowe13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 583
Liked 79 Times on 57 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks

It is setup for deer hunting. This coming season will be my first. I bought the gun used for $375 and put a $300 scope on it. Off a rest at 50 yards it is easily minute of deer with room to spare. I've still got to get it dialed in with my intended hunting load.
That's a great deal for 375. I would like to have one as well incase I don't feel like getting the ole psa out. I've watched YouTube videos on hunts with them and never really considered it until now . What are the groups like at about 50 yards
__________________
cblowe13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aandabooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,443
Liked 298 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default

Off a rest shooting 180gr reloads I can keep 5 shots inside a 2" circle. Like I said easily minute of deer.

__________________
aandabooks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cblowe13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 583
Liked 79 Times on 57 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks
Off a rest shooting 180gr reloads I can keep 5 shots inside a 2" circle. Like I said easily minute of deer.
Oh wait wasn't even expecting that! That's excellent
__________________
cblowe13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 26,806
Liked 19521 Times on 11080 Posts
Likes Given: 49157

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
That's about what I'm looking for as well I would like it to try for deer hunting. Have you tried it for this purpose ?
if you are wanting to deer hunt with it, i would definately consider getting oe with an 8" or longer barrel. it will add a little muzzle velocity to the round.

one of my co-workers uses an 8.75" barreled S & W in 44 Magnum for deer hunting sometimes and can with a rest shoot 2-3' groups at about 50-60 yards. IIRC, his has a 2-6 power scope mounted to his.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ninjatoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Near Saginaw,Michigan
Posts: 1,405
Liked 112 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Taurus would probably be your cheapest quality option. Charter Arms makes .44s cheaper but I have been reading bad things. I have a Taurus M44 that I love. Ruger and S&W are considerably more money.
Charter Arms .44 is a .44 special, not magnum.
__________________

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

ninjatoth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Now residing in Lower Alabama
Posts: 269
Liked 110 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default

You "need" one of these...my experience tells me to be patient and get what you really want as you will likely own it for a very long time. I bought this over 20 years ago...and then bought a ruger mk ii because I could hardly afford to shoot it at my salary! I am grateful today though as it is one of my prized handguns in my collection and it shoots really well!

ruger44.jpg  
__________________
Mouser is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cblowe13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 583
Liked 79 Times on 57 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser
You "need" one of these...my experience tells me to be patient and get what you really want as you will likely own it for a very long time. I bought this over 20 years ago...and then bought a ruger mk ii because I could hardly afford to shoot it at my salary! I am grateful today though as it is one of my prized handguns in my collection and it shoots really well!
Oh man I would love to have that
__________________
cblowe13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes