Lightweight .44?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Lightweight .44?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Lightweight .44?

Have been carrying a Super Blackhawk in a shoulder holster while hunting with a rifle; been doing it for years both rifle and revolver have gotten heavier as I have gotten older; bought a new lightweight rifle but am considering one of those lightweight .44 mags; they are legal for big game here so it could come in to play. I'm not concerned about recoil because I will be carrying it a lot more than shooting it. I am sure some of you have had experience with the lightweight .44s; am looking for expeience recommendations. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 PM   #2

My personal favorite is a .357 Ruger Flat Top converted to .44 special. With the correct loads, it can rival the .44 mag in performance and is a lightweight carry gun for woods work when built on the OM frame with a 4 5/8bbl.

"The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us“ ...... Patrick Henry March 23, 1775

Old 04-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If your wanting a real lite weight .44 mag. there is only 1 on the market I would consider. It is the S&W pd 329. It has a Scadium frame and weights abt the same as the old 38 S$W`s. A rubber grip is a must and it is a hand full, but if you truly do not mind recoil it is the gun for you. I love mine.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 04-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

The scandium framed Smiths are VERY light. They are very punishing to shoot but if you are not recoil sensitive they are very cool. They are also VERY expensive! I would look at the Smith Mountain gun. .44, 4" stainless and much lighter than the Ruger or comperable Smith.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:32 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a 629 with the 4 in barrel and a pd 329 and can tell you the 629 is alot heaver. I also have a Super Black Hawk with a 7 3/4 in barrel and it is not much heaver than the 629 S&W. The 329 has alot more recoil, but if your into recoil and have rubber grips on it you can handle it, especially for a hunting gun.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 05-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #6

Taurus Tracker? Anyone had experience with one of these?

npbwbass

Just because you don't believe in something is not going to stop it from happening.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #7

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Taurus Tracker. I watched as the 13th round shot out of a brand new gun shot the entire barrel off and sent it 15 yards down range. The metal where the barrel and frame connect failed. I personally wouldn't recommend one. Rather have a S&W or Ruger. Just my opinion.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:58 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorst294 View Post
Yeah, I'm familiar with the Taurus Tracker. I watched as the 13th round shot out of a brand new gun shot the entire barrel off and sent it 15 yards down range. The metal where the barrel and frame connect failed. I personally wouldn't recommend one. Rather have a S&W or Ruger. Just my opinion.
do you have any experience with other taurus models? my friend has been looking at getting one of their semi autos. imo she should get a glock, based off many of my friends who own and use them regulary (law enforcement), but i do not know anything about taurus to be honest.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #9

I have 4 Glocks and have NEVER had any problems with any of them. Their ugly, but as a tool, their extremely dependable. I've had a Taurus 24/7 in .45ACP. It shot great, until the firing pin block broke with less than 100 rounds through it, and then had serious dependability issues after that was fixed. I think it was caused by the 2 factory mags that came with it. Have a friend with an identical gun, has same dependability issues. Also, Glock has a discount $100 off any gun through authorized Glock dealers for Law Enforcement. I got mine this way, and they come 3 magazines.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default lightweight .44

Well if I get one guess it will be a S&W; although my gunsmith said they had problems with one extracting cases but he also said that Taurus has a lifetime warranty for a reason, they need it!