Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Lightweight .44? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/lightweight-44-a-3890/)

bogey 03-28-2008 09:37 PM

Lightweight .44?

Have been carrying a Super Blackhawk in a shoulder holster while hunting with a rifle; been doing it for years both rifle and revolver have gotten heavier as I have gotten older; bought a new lightweight rifle but am considering one of those lightweight .44 mags; they are legal for big game here so it could come in to play. I'm not concerned about recoil because I will be carrying it a lot more than shooting it. I am sure some of you have had experience with the lightweight .44s; am looking for expeience recommendations. Thanks

scoutman 03-28-2008 10:22 PM

My personal favorite is a .357 Ruger Flat Top converted to .44 special. With the correct loads, it can rival the .44 mag in performance and is a lightweight carry gun for woods work when built on the OM frame with a 4 5/8bbl.

Catfish 04-11-2008 02:25 PM

If your wanting a real lite weight .44 mag. there is only 1 on the market I would consider. It is the S&W pd 329. It has a Scadium frame and weights abt the same as the old 38 S$W`s. A rubber grip is a must and it is a hand full, but if you truly do not mind recoil it is the gun for you. I love mine.

robocop10mm 04-14-2008 06:10 PM

The scandium framed Smiths are VERY light. They are very punishing to shoot but if you are not recoil sensitive they are very cool. They are also VERY expensive! I would look at the Smith Mountain gun. .44, 4" stainless and much lighter than the Ruger or comperable Smith.

Catfish 04-15-2008 12:32 AM

I have a 629 with the 4 in barrel and a pd 329 and can tell you the 629 is alot heaver. I also have a Super Black Hawk with a 7 3/4 in barrel and it is not much heaver than the 629 S&W. The 329 has alot more recoil, but if your into recoil and have rubber grips on it you can handle it, especially for a hunting gun.

npbwbass 05-05-2008 09:44 PM

Taurus Tracker? Anyone had experience with one of these?

chorst294 05-05-2008 10:23 PM

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Taurus Tracker. I watched as the 13th round shot out of a brand new gun shot the entire barrel off and sent it 15 yards down range. The metal where the barrel and frame connect failed. I personally wouldn't recommend one. Rather have a S&W or Ruger. Just my opinion.

poolshark13 05-06-2008 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chorst294 (Post 23237)
Yeah, I'm familiar with the Taurus Tracker. I watched as the 13th round shot out of a brand new gun shot the entire barrel off and sent it 15 yards down range. The metal where the barrel and frame connect failed. I personally wouldn't recommend one. Rather have a S&W or Ruger. Just my opinion.

do you have any experience with other taurus models? my friend has been looking at getting one of their semi autos. imo she should get a glock, based off many of my friends who own and use them regulary (law enforcement), but i do not know anything about taurus to be honest.

chorst294 05-06-2008 11:57 AM

I have 4 Glocks and have NEVER had any problems with any of them. Their ugly, but as a tool, their extremely dependable. I've had a Taurus 24/7 in .45ACP. It shot great, until the firing pin block broke with less than 100 rounds through it, and then had serious dependability issues after that was fixed. I think it was caused by the 2 factory mags that came with it. Have a friend with an identical gun, has same dependability issues. Also, Glock has a discount $100 off any gun through authorized Glock dealers for Law Enforcement. I got mine this way, and they come 3 magazines.

bogey 05-06-2008 04:19 PM

lightweight .44

Well if I get one guess it will be a S&W; although my gunsmith said they had problems with one extracting cases but he also said that Taurus has a lifetime warranty for a reason, they need it!