Left handed revolver

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Left handed revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1227 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default Left handed revolver

I bought my daughter a J frame S&W 38sp. However she is left handed, and says she has some difficulty loading with the cylinder rolling out the left side of the handgun. Does anyone have any experience with a left handed revolver such as the Charter Arms Bulldog? I am considering getting her one of those and having my wife carry the 38.

I am right handed and have no trouble loading on either side, so I am wonderig if it is the tool or the craftsman.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #2

I shoot lefty AND I am the proud owner of a smith J frame myself. I'd say put her through some more reloading drills. As far as the Charter Arms southpaw is concerned, I would love to have one in my jeep at all times as an insurance policy. I don't like the fact that the lefty models come in aluminum frame only.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:53 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Advance to about 4:30 on this video for a left handed stress reload on a standard revolver. Seems like a pretty good technique.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 08-29-2010, 03:11 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Left Hand revolver

I had seen that video. However, have you ever looked in a woman's purse? With a speed loader she would have one loader and five bullets scattered all over the suitcase she calls a purse. I could pack for a three day business trip in that thing. No, if she has to reload at any time she is defending herself with that handgun, she will be in big trouble.

A good video though. Massad Ayoob has some good things on youtube.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

As an avid revolver shooter and a lefty, please allow me to chime in. First off I've never had the opportunity of being "taught" how to shoot. Every technique I've developed has just been through trial and error. At this point it would be very hard for me to develop new methods of shooting that would be as efficient as my current ones.

As for the video.

The Good: OK after reviewing that video, the part of the technique that seems most advantageous to the left handed shooter is using the dominant hand to manage your speed-loaders. I'm also fond of the ejection method for both rightys and leftys. It is a very natural maneuver and uses the barrel as a tool. I also like the aggressiveness of the ejection as well as the concept of directing a good amount of strength towards holding the cylinder firm when reloading, while still having your hand in position to slightly rotate the cylinder if needed to align the cartridges.

The Not So Good: I don't like like the left index finger activating the release button. This action takes one of your strongest fingers off of gripping the gun and requires the use of a second hand. In order to complete this action one would have to be in a pretty stable environment. It also creates a window for the possibility of dropping the firearm. (I have a Smith and Ruger in my hands now) This especially true for the Smith and Wesson as you are pushing the button away from yourself. It would never work for me because my left index has been damaged severely in the past.

My method: Right or wrong, it works for me and I'm pretty quick (with much room for improvement ).

In the same motion when ready to reload, I activate the cylinder release with my right thumb, push out cylinder with right index. At that point the gun is in my right hand, shells are ejected with left palm and middle and ring finger are holding cylinder open and firm. At this point the gun is back in your left hands grasp. Right hand is reloading. Close the cylinder with left thumb and you're "back in it".

I don't think any technique will ever be perfect for leftys, but it's good to see a little guidance especially if you're a newer shooter.

Last edited by diggsbakes; 08-29-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: watched it

Old 08-31-2010, 12:10 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks, I think what will help her best is to develop what works for her as you did. What she really needs to do is send more rounds at targets until she is better at shooting and reloading.

However, us righthanders may never really understand what you southpaws go through.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Get an auto-loader...

Old 08-31-2010, 03:57 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like being left handed, but it does have some draw backs in a right handed world. For example, hot shotgun shells shooting out in your face, etc. I have an SP 101 in .327 and I have just had to learn to adjust to loading the gun backwards to me. After a while you will learn. A speedloader helps, but it's just as awkward as loading a bolt action rifle. I did give up and get a pump shotgun that loads from the bottom. Things just aren't as left friendly as they need to be. I think now an actual left handed gun would be awkward at first just because I am so use to the right handed way.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Get an auto-loader...
And take the easy (lame) way?

That's not how my Momma raised me. . .

Old 09-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyWabbit View Post
I like being left handed, but it does have some draw backs in a right handed world. For example, hot shotgun shells shooting out in your face, etc. I have an SP 101 in .327 and I have just had to learn to adjust to loading the gun backwards to me. After a while you will learn. A speedloader helps, but it's just as awkward as loading a bolt action rifle. I did give up and get a pump shotgun that loads from the bottom. Things just aren't as left friendly as they need to be. I think now an actual left handed gun would be awkward at first just because I am so use to the right handed way.
I'm right there with ya.

Never had the problem with the shotgun shells. . . but then again I've never had ANY right-side ejecting gun throw hot brass at me. Maybe it's just the gun's way of telling me how much they love me.

NOTHING is as awkward as a right handed (long action in particular) bolt action. The only exception would be actually shooting the rifle right handed.