Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Lead in barrel (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/lead-barrel-58484/)

coolkidat 02-22-2012 08:52 AM

Lead in barrel

2 Attachment(s)
I Have a .38 special 637 airweight smith and wesson. I recently shot some rounds through this gun and noticed this on my barrel and the muzzle looks kinda funny but I can't tell if it's just the way it's machined. Has anyone seen such a thing? The first picture is with the cylinder open and looking at the start of the barrel the second is top view of the barrel.

hardluk1 02-22-2012 05:40 PM

I can't tell about the first picture lots like carbon build up and second look sfine. If leaded or coppered soak in kroil oil over night and brush. Might take a couple times to get clean but the kroil will lift the lead or copper loose from the barel to clean up.

BlueTurf 02-22-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardluk1 (Post 717012)
I can't tell about the first picture lots like carbon build up and second look sfine. If leaded or coppered soak in kroil oil over night and brush. Might take a couple times to get clean but the kroil will lift the lead or copper loose from the barel to clean up.

+1 on that. Kroil is great for removing fouling by getting underneath it so it can be lifted off. I used it for removing moly coating from a barrel and it worked great.

Chainfire 02-22-2012 09:43 PM

At my age, I would like to have a little more lead in the barrel..........

c3shooter 02-22-2012 11:18 PM

Kroil is the best thing since penicillin for metal fouling- but your looks like you may just have some carbon in the forcing cone (not unusual). Are you using a powder solvent when you clean?

Try let some Hoppes soak for 10 minutes, brush well, and see how it looks. If that does not clean it up, Kroil will.

I do have a couple of revolvers that if I run a LOT of soft lead wadcutter through them, I will use a Lewis de-leader, but that is every few years.

robocop10mm 02-23-2012 12:46 AM

Shooters Choice bore solvent. Worst case, get a lead free cloth and cut some tight fitting patches. It will strip the lead out of the barrel.

coolkidat 02-23-2012 06:39 PM

Well I finally got the time to get in there and clean this gun. I just took a spiral wire and some hoppes #9 and scrubbed and scabbed and it all came out. This is my first snubbed nose gun so I just have never seen this before in any of my other rifles and handguns. I was shooting some wadcutters that a friend of mine reloaded I was skeptical at first and then saw this. So it scared me after I shot them. Does anyone else shoot wadcutters on a regular basis? Pros/cons?

CubDriver451 02-23-2012 10:28 PM

MAybe it is just the camera angle or lighting...

but it looks to me like the muzzle crown is very poorly cut from the factory! When you look at the face of the barrel, the crown should look basically like a chamfer that is evenly cut perpendicular to the bore.

In the second pic, it looks like the crown has been cut off center, leaving a chamfer on only the left side of the barrel, as seen looking down the bore. The right side looks lopsided and uneven. Take a careful look. Hopefully it is just an optical illusion created by camera angle or lighting.

As for wadcutter bullets, I should cast bullets almost exclusively out of most of my handguns, and all of my revolvers. The causes of leading are often misunderstood, and would take more space and time than I have available to get into. Suffice it to be said that cast bullets, whether wadcautter or another style, can be shot without the associated leading that we have all heard horror stories about. However, it does require some knowledge and often a bit of prep work on your gun to correct minor flaws from the factory. These flaws are almost always easily fixed once you know what to look at and how to address various concerns. I would highly recommend the book "Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets" by Veral Smith. Just do a search for "Lead Bullet Technology" and you will find his web site.

Leading is not something that you simply have to deal with. It is often a sign of poor bullet selection, lack of knowledge, or mechanical problems with the gun. I shoot cast bullets weighing 420 grains to velocities in the neighborhood of 1400fps with no significant leading, but you have to do your homework, unless ya just happen to get lucky.

JW

c3shooter 02-23-2012 11:24 PM

In general, wadcutter is a target load. Low energy, flat front bullet, pretty darned accurate, usually soft lead, shaped to CLIP a neat, even hole in a paper target (think hole punch on steroids).

Pros- good target ammo, cheap, accurate, moderate recoil.

Cons- dirty, not a first choice for defense.

So clean gun after you shoot. They way you did it is fine.

m72law 02-24-2012 12:47 AM

I'm lazy when it comes to removing lead from any barrel.

I break out the Black & Decker w/cleaning rod attachment:D