Knuckle banging - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Knuckle banging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

This might just be me, but if I only squeezed hard enough to hang on to the pistol I would be plowing the dirt in front of the target. My wrist would break early resulting in low shots. My wife was watching my knuckles turn white when I was shooting my P95. She was picking on me about "trying to strangle the gun." It might have appeared I was squeezing to hard but I was hitting a rifle target every time.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #12

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
Love my SP101. Replaced the $hitty Ruger grip after the first range session. Solid gun. Totally inferior stock grip.
Gonna have to disagree about the stock grips. I did have to replace the cheap plastic inserts though.
ruger-sp101-1.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #13

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sweet looking grip. I like the finger grooves on my Hogue grip. But that is one nice looking gun.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #14

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

As others stated, the stock grip was not for me.
First thing I did (even before shooting) was replace the grip with Hogue grips.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with the small grips on the Ruger's. I had a chance to shoot my Bro's 357 Blackhawk 50th year Anniversary model. After he shot the first load, his thumb was bloody from the sharp frame piece at the butt, and the target was still clear. I took the next six and also didn't hit the target at 25 ft. The loads were 158 gr. Buffalo Bore which may have been part of the problem, but I could not get a comfortable grip on that gun. With my S&W 27 & target grips I can chew a ragged hole at that range. We talked about swapping out those little wood pieces with something that would fit his hand, but I don't think he has done that yet--too much fun with his new Springfield 1911.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:42 AM   #16

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The Hogue rubber grips made a world of difference for me. First, the accuracy improved greatly (the factory grips are too small for accuracy beyond 15 yards). Second, the "finger bashing" went way down because the Hogue grips don't allow the subject finger to get caught behind the trigger guard. And, if you don't like rubber, they also come in hard nylon (which can be shaped for each user).

Old 11-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #17

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I have a Security Six in 4" which was also my work/carry gun for at least 15 years and God willing will never part with. But that being said, when firing magnum loads I definately have my Pachmeyer grips on. The stock Ruger grips are just too small for my hands. The Pachmeyers smooth out the recoil and allow for much faster target re-acquisition. Sometimes I put the Ruger grips on to fire .38's but even then the Pachmeyers are just a better grip for me. Now I carry my Glock 23, 90% of the time. But I will always keep my Ruger.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:19 AM   #18

Liked 74 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Grips and gripping.

Original type grips on Colt, Ruger and S&W da revolvers all force the middle finger to sit behind the trigger guard; recoil causes the 'knuckle banging' and one's grip really isn't all that much an issue. So, one must install proper grips which fill in the area aft of the trigger guard, or a Tyler T-grip that does the same thing.

Aside from getting one's middle finger knuckle banged rather severely, one also feels the fingers being 'twisted' to fit. So control and comfort are better all around.

Picture one is a S&W M27 with Fitz 'Gunfighter' grips. The 'hollow' aft of the trigger guard is completely filled.

Picture two is a Colt Detective Special with the original grips. Note the big gap behind the trigger guard. Picture three is the same Detective Special with a human hand (mine) holding it in firing mode. Note how high the middle finger is on the grip.

Three is a S&W M&P (model 10) with a grip adapter and my hand holding it. Note the difference in where my middle knuckle is located. It might seem minor, but it makes a great difference in comfort and control.

Don't anyone be concerned over how high my thumb is riding - the point of the pictures is to show where the griping fingers fit and how the adapter works.

Also note with nearly all semi-automatic pistols, the middle finger is never twisted behind the trigger finger. It is practically impossible for recoil to run the trigger guard into the other fingers.

dsc00160.jpg   colt-detective-special-left-2-.jpg   colt-detective-special-middle-finger-behind-trigger-guard.jpg   smith-wesson-m-p-2-grip-adapter.jpg  

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

shadecorp Likes This 
Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMontgomery View Post
Original type grips on Colt, Ruger and S&W da revolvers all force the middle finger to sit behind the trigger guard; recoil causes the 'knuckle banging' and one's grip really isn't all that much an issue. So, one must install proper grips which fill in the area aft of the trigger guard, or a Tyler T-grip that does the same thing.

Aside from getting one's middle finger knuckle banged rather severely, one also feels the fingers being 'twisted' to fit. So control and comfort are better all around.

Picture one is a S&W M27 with Fitz 'Gunfighter' grips. The 'hollow' aft of the trigger guard is completely filled.

Picture two is a Colt Detective Special with the original grips. Note the big gap behind the trigger guard. Picture three is the same Detective Special with a human hand (mine) holding it in firing mode. Note how high the middle finger is on the grip.

Three is a S&W M&P (model 10) with a grip adapter and my hand holding it. Note the difference in where my middle knuckle is located. It might seem minor, but it makes a great difference in comfort and control.

Don't anyone be concerned over how high my thumb is riding - the point of the pictures is to show where the griping fingers fit and how the adapter works.

Also note with nearly all semi-automatic pistols, the middle finger is never twisted behind the trigger finger. It is practically impossible for recoil to run the trigger guard into the other fingers.
Wow! Those photos really bring home the differences. A great explanation, and thanks for pointing out by name the grip adjustments. I will definitely research them.