Knuckle banging
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Knuckle banging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Knuckle banging

Went to Rex's Range to try out some different pistols. Chose the Ruger SP101 .357.
Fired off a few rounds and noticed two things. The noise was considerably louder than my 1911.
And the knuckle of my right hand behind the trigger guard was getting smacked with every round.
So I hated the experience, but I figure it must be user error. I thought my grip was correct. Tried different stances, and progressively came to the conclusion I should stick to semi-automatic weapons.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbob View Post
Went to Rex's Range to try out some different pistols. Chose the Ruger SP101 .357.
Fired off a few rounds and noticed two things. The noise was considerably louder than my 1911.
And the knuckle of my right hand behind the trigger guard was getting smacked with every round.
So I hated the experience, but I figure it must be user error. I thought my grip was correct. Tried different stances, and progressively came to the conclusion I should stick to semi-automatic weapons.
Were you shooting the Ruger DA?

Try it in SA and see if your grip is changing while shooting DA.

In most autoloaders the trigger pull only drops the sear, not cock the trigger and rotate the cylinder. This is called "stacking" and the added difficulty eliminates the need for a safety on revolvers.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 587 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 2498

Years ago a friend at work saw an ad from Andrews,
a chain no longer here in my area.
They had Mdl 29s on sale.
After work one morning We went to my local store,
He ordered a 29,
I saw The Redhawk,
I ordered a Redhawk.
Severl days later we picked them up and some ammo.
Wasn't too smart then either.
Bought mag. loads.
Went up in the hills and started shooting,
as we do "want to try this"
the Redhawk was easy to shoot.
Now the point of all this.
I fired the 29 once.
Trigger guard hit my finger so hard thought it broke.
29 is a fine gun, but not for me.

Did Not Fit My Hand.

Last edited by shadecorp; 11-13-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Tried both ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Were you shooting the Ruger DA?

Try it in SA and see if your grip is changing while shooting DA.

In most autoloaders the trigger pull only drops the sear, not cock the trigger and rotate the cylinder. This is called "stacking" and the added difficulty eliminates the need for a safety on revolvers.
Tried it both ways. The DA was a real turnoff for me. Never got comfortable with it.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have limited revolver experience, but noticed that the tiny grips on the snubby .38 are MUCH less comfortable than the BIG squishy grips on my GP100. The extra 5.5" of barrel on the GP100 also helps with recoil and noise.

Try a larger revolver with a fatter grip. Snubbies do look cool though.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #6

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Love my SP101. Replaced the $hitty Ruger grip after the first range session. Solid gun. Totally inferior stock grip.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #7

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Get a Houge mono-grip. The shape of the mono-grip prevents you from getting your finger behind the trigger guard. Ruger sells the mono-grip at a competitive price. To be quite frank, you need to work on your grip. You have a weak grip to get smacked by the trigger guard of any weapon. Use both hands and squeeze! A habitual tight grip prevents you from being disarmed and increases your accuracy.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-14-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: stripped

Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #8

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
Get a Houge mono-grip. The shape of the mono-grip prevents you from getting your finger behind the trigger guard.
That's a problem I had with my model 65-2. Not an issue with getting smacked, but my hand was riding too high because my middle finger was allowed to go behind the guard instead of under it.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #9

Liked 265 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 25

First off No grip is liked by all. Some like the smaller ruger grips. I like the larger soft rubber ruger grip thats made by hogue for ruger. Others prefer pacmyer grips. Lucky they are cheap so pick one and give it a try. You have learned not many cartidges have the snap of a full house 357mag or the blast from the barrel. You do need to hold on with a firmer grip compared to whats needed with a 1911. Maybe get some 38sp or 38sP+ loads to use to get use to it also. Just remeber to clean the cylinder chambers well befor going back to 357 loads.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #10

Liked 106 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I put a mustang combat grip on my service six. Love it. Try shooting some standard pressure 38 special. I also changed out both the hammer and trigger springs. Made a world of difference. Theyre not for everyone, but they are for me.

Last edited by phildenton; 11-30-2012 at 08:39 AM.