Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Knuckle banging (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/knuckle-banging-76311/)

bisbob 11-13-2012 07:56 PM

Knuckle banging

Went to Rex's Range to try out some different pistols. Chose the Ruger SP101 .357.
Fired off a few rounds and noticed two things. The noise was considerably louder than my 1911.
And the knuckle of my right hand behind the trigger guard was getting smacked with every round.
So I hated the experience, but I figure it must be user error. I thought my grip was correct. Tried different stances, and progressively came to the conclusion I should stick to semi-automatic weapons.

canebrake 11-13-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisbob (Post 1013163)
Went to Rex's Range to try out some different pistols. Chose the Ruger SP101 .357.
Fired off a few rounds and noticed two things. The noise was considerably louder than my 1911.
And the knuckle of my right hand behind the trigger guard was getting smacked with every round.
So I hated the experience, but I figure it must be user error. I thought my grip was correct. Tried different stances, and progressively came to the conclusion I should stick to semi-automatic weapons.

Were you shooting the Ruger DA?

Try it in SA and see if your grip is changing while shooting DA.

In most autoloaders the trigger pull only drops the sear, not cock the trigger and rotate the cylinder. This is called "stacking" and the added difficulty eliminates the need for a safety on revolvers.

shadecorp 11-13-2012 08:09 PM

Years ago a friend at work saw an ad from Andrews,
a chain no longer here in my area.
They had Mdl 29s on sale.
After work one morning We went to my local store,
He ordered a 29,
I saw The Redhawk,
I ordered a Redhawk.
Severl days later we picked them up and some ammo.
Wasn't too smart then either.
Bought mag. loads.
Went up in the hills and started shooting,
as we do "want to try this"
the Redhawk was easy to shoot.
Now the point of all this.
I fired the 29 once.
Trigger guard hit my finger so hard thought it broke.
29 is a fine gun, but not for me.

Did Not Fit My Hand.

bisbob 11-13-2012 08:18 PM

Tried both ways

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 1013180)
Were you shooting the Ruger DA?

Try it in SA and see if your grip is changing while shooting DA.

In most autoloaders the trigger pull only drops the sear, not cock the trigger and rotate the cylinder. This is called "stacking" and the added difficulty eliminates the need for a safety on revolvers.

Tried it both ways. The DA was a real turnoff for me. Never got comfortable with it.

orangello 11-13-2012 08:29 PM

I have limited revolver experience, but noticed that the tiny grips on the snubby .38 are MUCH less comfortable than the BIG squishy grips on my GP100. The extra 5.5" of barrel on the GP100 also helps with recoil and noise.

Try a larger revolver with a fatter grip. Snubbies do look cool though.

danolator 11-13-2012 11:55 PM

Love my SP101. Replaced the $hitty Ruger grip after the first range session. Solid gun. Totally inferior stock grip.

Old_Crow 11-14-2012 01:33 PM

Get a Houge mono-grip. The shape of the mono-grip prevents you from getting your finger behind the trigger guard. Ruger sells the mono-grip at a competitive price. To be quite frank, you need to work on your grip. You have a weak grip to get smacked by the trigger guard of any weapon. Use both hands and squeeze! A habitual tight grip prevents you from being disarmed and increases your accuracy.

trip286 11-14-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Crow (Post 1013979)
Get a Houge mono-grip. The shape of the mono-grip prevents you from getting your finger behind the trigger guard.

That's a problem I had with my model 65-2. Not an issue with getting smacked, but my hand was riding too high because my middle finger was allowed to go behind the guard instead of under it.

hardluk1 11-14-2012 03:04 PM

First off No grip is liked by all. Some like the smaller ruger grips. I like the larger soft rubber ruger grip thats made by hogue for ruger. Others prefer pacmyer grips. Lucky they are cheap so pick one and give it a try. You have learned not many cartidges have the snap of a full house 357mag or the blast from the barrel. You do need to hold on with a firmer grip compared to whats needed with a 1911. Maybe get some 38sp or 38sP+ loads to use to get use to it also. Just remeber to clean the cylinder chambers well befor going back to 357 loads.

phildenton 11-14-2012 08:11 PM

I put a mustang combat grip on my service six. Love it. Try shooting some standard pressure 38 special. I also changed out both the hammer and trigger springs. Made a world of difference. Theyre not for everyone, but they are for me.