Just got my wife's Christmas present GP100
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Just got my wife's Christmas present GP100

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Just got my wife's Christmas present GP100

So today I picked up my wife's Christmas present (as the topic says). Its a 4" Ruger GP 100. She hated shooting my Glock and tried a guys revolver one day and fell in love ( with the revolver not the guy), Our next "Date Night" aka range session, she shot the gamut of revolvers that were for rent and she decided on the Ruger GP100 4". I am looking online at ammo, and I am wondering if you can shoot wad cutter or semi wad cutter ( lead projectile) in this gun, as this is our or should I say her first revolver I have no idea if this stuff is alright to shoot out of a revolver or not. I know my glock specifically says no lead, but I am wondering if that is just a glock thing or what. Thanks for the help, and I will post up some range pics as soon as we go out and shoot.

Oh by the way, If anyone is in the Southern Arizona area ie. Tucson, Sierra Vista, check out Chosin Firearms. I chatted with the owner for over an hour while I was in Little Rock Ar about our time spent overseas, telling war stories, general bs. His name is Dean and he is an Old Retired Marine, and he is a top notch guy. Gave me the gun and two CCP classes for 620 out the door, I cant be happier with that place. If you are in this area it is definitely worth checking out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It is my understanding that the lead prohibition is a "glock thing". I shot some semijacketed hollowpoints and softpoints (.357) out of my 6" GP100 this weekend and it seemed just fine with it. They make cleaners that you can use with the brass brushes to clean the lead out of your barrel.

I generally use the copper jacketed winchester .38 special ammo with the flat nose for plinking; it is pretty cheap at wallyworld.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1850 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 564

Should not be a problem. My SP does not like the 147 grn wadcutters but does well with 158 grn semi wadcutters. Used them in the 19 when I had that. Keep the velocity down around 800-900fps. You might also look at the copper clad form Berry or Rainier. Load the copper clad same as lead as they are not really jacketed bullets. I just picked up some Berry's 125 and 158 grn FP 357 copper clad for light loads.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #4

Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Same here i shoot winchester fmj out of my gp100 but theres no reason why you couldnt shoot lead bullets. Just make sure you get lead cleaner for your gun and you will be fine. I use a copper cleaner for mine because of the jacketed ammo i shoot. And around me winchester ammo is available everyday and im accurate with it ao thats what i shoot. And ive had my revolver for about two months. This is 10 yards with no rest about a week ago.

forumrunner_20111219_185252.jpg  

Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have shot over 250 rounds of lead bullets threw my 6" gp100 and no problem and still as acurit as I am

Old 12-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7012 Times on 4219 Posts
Likes Given: 8449

I mostly shoot jacketed ammo out of my GP100 as it seems cleaner but I have shot most anything out of my GP100 and I haven't had a problem. I have shot wad cutters and semi-wad cutters out of it. They are one tough revolver.

Do we get pictures?

Old 12-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #7

Winds of Change Yes you will get pictures,
I appreciate the help, I am thinking about getting either the BVAC 500 pack or a Canned Heat off of G-A.com. We have "good rounds" for home defense or whatever, but I need ammo that is not a wallet killer when we want to go and shoot.
Thanks Everyone

Old 12-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7012 Times on 4219 Posts
Likes Given: 8449

Quote:
Originally Posted by melch79 View Post
Winds of Change Yes you will get pictures,
I appreciate the help, I am thinking about getting either the BVAC 500 pack or a Canned Heat off of G-A.com. We have "good rounds" for home defense or whatever, but I need ammo that is not a wallet killer when we want to go and shoot.
Thanks Everyone
Well, I find most ammo I shoot out of my GP100 is a wallet killer. My second gun is a Mark II that I have a lot of shooting fun with.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #9

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Well, I find most ammo I shoot out of my GP100 is a wallet killer. My second gun is a Mark II that I have a lot of shooting fun with.
If you reload for your gp 100 shooting it can be pretty cheap. 38 special ammo is very easy to reload. I average about 5 dollars for every 50 rounds. I shoot at an indoor range where they let me pick up all the pistol brass i want.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Check out cheaperthandirt.com. They have every bullet out there, and they're very reasonable. And did I mention they deliver right to your doorstep! Nice gun choice, can't go wrong with a Ruger, your wife's gonna love it for years to come