Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Just got my first

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Just got my first

Yep, I went to the shop last night with my Xmas bonus from work and picked up a used Model 36. I've always wanted a snub nose revolver. I'm now trying to figure out when it was built, but am having trouble with that. Heading to the range later today to get a taste of a wheel gun

For a used gun the bluing looked very good. Bore as well. Doesn't look like it was shot very much. The photos are before I cleaned it. Any smuges on it are from my fingerprints.

Can somebody recommend an IWB holster for this? Need a lefty.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Last edited by jamesb; 12-31-2010 at 11:29 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2010, 11:54 AM   #2

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

AKJ Concealco LLC - Concealment gun holsters, personal defense related equipment, and other gunleather.

Although I preferred a safariland owb for my snubbies

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #3

Default Very Nice

jamesb: Sir, very nice

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 12-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Default IWB Holster

I don't think you can go wrong with a crossbreed Crossbreed Holsters > Home . I have one made from horse hide a like it a lot.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 12-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Judging by the turn line on the cylinder, it doesn't seem to have been shot much at all.

Just don't shoot +P ammunition in it and it will do the job for you.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-31-2010, 03:45 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don Hume makes about the least expensive leather holsters available

Last edited by billdeserthills; 12-31-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Hume is not speeled with an "N"

Old 12-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Judging by the turn line on the cylinder, it doesn't seem to have been shot much at all.

Just don't shoot +P ammunition in it and it will do the job for you.
Yeah it is in very good shape.

Why not +P? The guy at the shop said it would be fine because it is steel. I put a box of 25 Critical Defense 110 grain +P through it without issue. Should I not anymore? I fired 100 rounds of .38 Spcl FMJ without issue. I'm not looking to mess up my new gun and will stop, i'm just wondering the explanation.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

As far as I know, that revolver is not rated for +P ammunition. You can shoot it occasionally and carry the gun with that load, but do not feed it a steady diet of +P's.

I've owned Model 36's and 37's and I don't shoot +P in them. You can do whatever you want since it's your revolver.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-31-2010, 06:52 PM   #9

Gotcha. I just fed it one box as I wanted to see how it fired with it. I plan to carry the +P, but will shoot standard loads at the range. Just wanted to make sure it shot OK. It probably will never shoot the +Ps again. Thanks for the tip

Old 12-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 890 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Nice little Smitty. It'll be your friend and may even get you out of a jam someday. I've got a model 10 with a 4" barrel and wouldn't trade it for anything.

War to the knife; the knife to the hilt