Judging the Judge - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Judging the Judge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
I'm chomping at the bit to try this. I just picked up a S&W PC 327 TRR8 used for a great price. I'm wanting to try it with the Smith, the Judge is my dad's so I will have to try it too.

So basically I just buy 1000 #209 primers, 1000 .38spl modified cases, and 1000 wax bullets? What kind of target and backstop would you suggest? I want to be as safe as possible, I have neighbors side to side and in back.
Yeah it is so much fun. Yeah, you actually don't need to spend the money for the thousand modified cases unless you really want to, I only bought a hundred of them but I got a thousand of the wax bullets which is 25 plus shipping and then got a thousand primers. I can shoot and reload the hundred so easily I don't need any more than that, and they last cuz there is no pressure on them to expand the brass to need resizing or anything. All I do is after a few reloads on my brass is throw them in a pot of boiling water to remove the wax, let it cool and the wax will float to the top, let it harden, then remove it and remove and dry the casings and you are good to go again, the wax shaves off a little bit and sticks inside the casing a little so after several times of reloading that is how I clean them if they need it, but honestly you could just use a bore brush and brush them out too. As far as a target, I just have a cheap piece of OSB and staple regular targets to it. The max distance is about 20 feet with this setup so you don't have to worry about them causing any damage if you do miss the target, in my basement I just stick a target with tape to the concrete wall.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #52

Oh and I have a modified piece of OSB with a hole cut in it so my wax bullets can still punch thru the target so I can see where I am hitting for real practice, the bullets like I said won't travel but about 20 feet or so so you shouldn't have to worry about neighbors and such. Once you get all set up and try it out let me know how it works for you and how well you like it, I like to know if people like this when I get them started on it.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #53

I forgot to mention I use the shoot n see targets if you are just putting it on a solid backstop and regular targets for the piece with the hole in it. The startup cost is low except for the casings, but once you have those it's just primers and more wax bullets, which no matter what caliber are 25 bucks per thousand and the correct 209 primers are under 30 bucks per thousand so I find it to be good cheap fun practice and like I said it is accurate. I shoot the same patterns with live rounds from my Judge as I do the wax bullets.

Last edited by customammo72; 04-01-2013 at 03:25 AM.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:27 AM   #54

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Great info! You are full of good ideas. I have a feeling if you keep posting my bank account will shrink. I'll prob be in a position to do this within the next couple of weeks, thanks.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #55

Ha ha ha, well actually once you get setup it won't break the bank cuz it's cheaper than any live ammo unless you are like me and have so much fun with it you can't stop and just shoot every chance you get just because you can! Glad to help you, I found that site and was sceptical at first but once I tried it I was hooked! Especially cuz I found it to be accurate practice, but of course it's only for close distance but still, it works

Old 04-01-2013, 03:48 AM   #56

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I was doing this in 1980 with Colt 357, my regular cases and primers and just using 1/2 " thick wax for canning. I used my press to load primers. Mine would go through the side of a cardboard box and were accurate across the room. The magnum primers were pretty hot. U dont want to be hit by it. The wax will splatter so u want something to contain the broken wax.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkhunter View Post
I was doing this in 1980 with Colt 357, my regular cases and primers and just using 1/2 " thick wax for canning. I used my press to load primers. Mine would go through the side of a cardboard box and were accurate across the room. The magnum primers were pretty hot. U dont want to be hit by it. The wax will splatter so u want something to contain the broken wax.
Yeah you can do the home made methods, but I have tried them and found this to be way more accurate and I don't know his mixture for his wax but it is different then the homemade recipes. You are still very correct about them going thru a cardboard box and not wanting to be hit by them tho, still dangerous!