Judging the Judge - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Judging the Judge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Bought the wife judge "public defender" poly, loaded with 410 PDX. It is perfect for her, she dont shoot all that much, You don't want to carjacking her.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1261 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1921

A good ol' Ruger Redhawk, Blackhawk, or Vaquero in .45 Colt can also handle .410 shotshells made specifically for them, and is much more accurate with .45 Colt ammo...
Also an old S&W model 25-5 if you can find one.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #13

Liked 218 Times on 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU
A good ol' Ruger Redhawk, Blackhawk, or Vaquero in .45 Colt can also handle .410 shotshells made specifically for them, and is much more accurate with .45 Colt ammo...
Also an old S&W model 25-5 if you can find one.
Good point.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #14

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

My dad has one. I like it for it's intended use IMO, snakes. Paired with a Serpa, it's great for yard work and other outdoor tasks. It's pretty handy on a mower/tractor. It's heavy and large, buts it's not meant for CC. At night my father keeps it on the nightstand. Perfect for bedroom defense. First two chambers-#4 birdshot, second two chambers-PDX, last chamber is a Winchester silver tip .45Colt HP.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #15

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i dont see the purpose or appeal either. the 410 is a pretty anemic shotshell barely adequate for squirrels or rabbit much less as a self defense round. to make it semi accurate they have to reduce its ability to fire the potent 45colt.

my opinion just get a good real 45colt revolver and have done with it. shooting 410 out of a handgun is pretty pointless for anything but shts and giggles
from a pistol barrel the 410 is worthless, except for rabbits, squirrels, snakes, etc at close range. 45lc is good for dear, bad guys, etc. it is the versatility that is the only real attraction, as a back-woods survival gun, or a ranch gun in snake territory.

now a 410 slug from a typical long gun barrel, has the power equivalant [on paper] of something like a 41 mag, and has next to zero recoil, and so might be viable for an elder, recoil sensitive, without access to something better [power/money] in several jurisdictions, 410 with slugs is legal for deer, particularly in states where hunting with rifles is prohibited.

now here is my question for the experts here [such as c3 or johnm], why are 410 slugs loaded to a lighter weight projectile [1/4-1/5 oz] versus game loads with smaller shot size loaded to higher payload weight
[1/2 oz+]?

i know that the slugs go about 1800 fps, and the birdshot 1200-1300 fps. is it possible to load a 1/2 oz solid lead projectile, in the same sort of wad [so a sabot slug] going 1200 fps? if not, then why not?

sorry for going slightly ot.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #16

The judge is a gun for people who can't hold a pistol still enough to line the sights up and pull the trigger. It's also the multi caliber option that alot of people like. The new governor from s&w is the new and improved judge. It's a light smooth shooting and accurate pistol that shoots the 45acp along with the 45colt and 410. It's one of the very few tri caliber guns. Ammo is getting harder to find in some calibers and the option to shoot one of three is better than having one of one.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #17

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Jones: The .45 ACP needs moon clips to shoot out of a revolver bc the .45ACP is rimless. My father can hold the sights true, but a five foot rattler is difficult from a center fire handgun at almost any distance.

The Judge basically to me is a purpose built short and handy snake gun. It's a lot easier to carry on a mower/tractor than a long gun and it does double duty as a great master bedroom defense gun. You better believe if my dad exits his master bedroom it'll be with a 590A1 or a USP .45ACP.

It fills a small "purpose use" and does it well. Would it be my only handgun if I was restricted to one, no. Does it do a fantastic job at it's intended use, yes. IMO, it's intended use is a close quarters snake gun. As Orangello says about bears, the only good viper is a dead viper.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #18
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 918 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 228

It is a collector's gun for some. Not saying it is extra high quality, but for a wide range gun collection, like some of us have, from ultra expensive to kick around stuff, this would make a nice addition.

I don't have one, yet, but when the right used one presents itself, I will.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love
Jones: The .45 ACP needs moon clips to shoot out of a revolver bc the .45ACP is rimless. My father can hold the sights true, but a five foot rattler is difficult from a center fire handgun at almost any distance.

The Judge basically to me is a purpose built short and handy snake gun. It's a lot easier to carry on a mower/tractor than a long gun and it does double duty as a great master bedroom defense gun. You better believe if my dad exits his master bedroom it'll be with a 590A1 or a USP .45ACP.

It fills a small "purpose use" and does it well. Would it be my only handgun if I was restricted to one, no. Does it do a fantastic job at it's intended use, yes. IMO, it's intended use is a close quarters snake gun. As Orangello says about bears, the only good viper is a dead viper.
Your right I forgot to mention the moon clips. Still the ability to shoot three different calibers is rare. the addition of it having low selling constant and common production is a major benefit I will take advantage of even if its only a 410 or 45 colt round.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhammer
Bought the wife judge "public defender" poly, loaded with 410 PDX. It is perfect for her, she dont shoot all that much, You don't want to carjacking her.
The newest public defender is a great multipurpose gun. Lighter than many 1911s and smaller, it is a little bulky but can still be carried concealed.
Federal Premium makes a 410 specifically for the judge, four 000buck (36cal.) @850fpc which will consistency group at 3 1/2" at 7 to 10 yd.
Five rounds of this are like 20 rounds from a 380 and will totally destroy a paper target at 10 yards. I carry 3 rounds of the federal backed up with 2rounds of 250 gr. LC
I don't trust the PDX on the street, the BBs tend to scatter and you don't want to chance hitting innocents.