Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Judging the Judge (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/judging-judge-86949/)

txpossum 03-19-2013 09:16 PM

Judging the Judge

Let me start out by admitting I do not own a Taurus Judge. However, a couple of my friends own them, and I've handled and shot (both .45 and .410 loads) it. After doing so, my question is: what's the big attraction to this gun?

It's heavy. I don't mind heavy guns, but this one feels heavy and akward, I don't like the balance. Shooting .45's, I did not find it particulary accurate at 25 yards. Shooting shotshells was kinda fun --okay, I'll give it that -- but other than being a hell of a snake gun at five yards, I'm not sure what I'd use it for. And mebbe three .00 pellets per .410 would discourage unwelcome visitors at night, but I don't see it being accurate further than the bedroom door.

If somebody gave me one, I'd take it . . . but there's just so many more guns out there that I would buy before a Judge that it'd never get to the top of my list.

So, I'm curious . . . all you Judge owners, what made you decide to buy it? Make me see it.

JonM 03-19-2013 10:04 PM

i dont see the purpose or appeal either. the 410 is a pretty anemic shotshell barely adequate for squirrels or rabbit much less as a self defense round. to make it semi accurate they have to reduce its ability to fire the potent 45colt.

my opinion just get a good real 45colt revolver and have done with it. shooting 410 out of a handgun is pretty pointless for anything but shts and giggles

G-man111 03-19-2013 10:05 PM

Hey man ...

FrontierTCB 03-19-2013 10:26 PM

I agree. I think it's more of a novelty than anything. BUT they've made a lot of $$$ of them.

deadsp0t 03-19-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrontierTCB
I agree. I think it's more of a novelty than anything. BUT they've made a lot of $$$ of them.

Agreed, I think it's more of a 'hey, check this out' kinda thing..

I will add I've been out beside the river cat fishing and it could have come in handy for snakes.

Mongo 03-19-2013 11:51 PM

I would like to see it compared to the "Governor". I'm sure the S&W quality is much better than Taurus. I wonder if the S&W feels "heavy and awkward" as the Taurus was described by txpossum?

towboater 03-20-2013 12:04 AM

I bought one. Kept it about a month. Then sold it for a small profit. Its one I don't regret selling.

txpossum 03-20-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongo (Post 1182987)
I would like to see it compared to the "Governor". I'm sure the S&W quality is much better than Taurus. I wonder if the S&W feels "heavy and awkward" as the Taurus was described by txpossum?

I've never handled one of those -- like to compare 'em, though.

CrazedJava 03-20-2013 03:54 PM

The Judge seems more like a novelty than anything. I'm interested but I'm not spending that much money for novelty.

I did see one at the range and it was an interesting sight. The RO had to shut the guy down because he was shooting buckshot, but they were happy to let him purchase some overpriced slugs to practice with instead.

Seemed rather ridiculous, but it has a certain intimidation factor in an awkward snubbie kind of way. If I were to go .45 LC I can think of a lot of other guns I'd rather own that still give me the full 6 shots and I have no use for .410 out of a handgun.

FrontierTCB 03-20-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Agreed, I think it's more of a 'hey, check this out' kinda thing..

I will add I've been out beside the river cat fishing and it could have come in handy for snakes.

Agreed. Would make a great snake gun. My fishing gun now is a Ruger LCR22, light easy to carry. That .410 would put a hurting on a Copperhead though!